Railroad Forums 

• Historical Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#909289  by kyleg

Was there ever a station between Elkins Park and Melrose Park? At Old York Road (PA 611) there's a building that looks just like a station building but I've never seen a station there on any older maps. Currently, that building is the home of a model train club.

Here's the building on Google Street View:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1.5,,0,3.2
 #909322  by Matthew Mitchell

And like several other model railroad clubs, they hold an open house various weekend days in January and February.

Fun place to spend some time with children and nephews/nieces

Chelten Hills is notable for the big lift bridge in the middle of the layout.
 #909608  by aquadan005

kyleg wrote:Was there ever a station between Elkins Park and Melrose Park? At Old York Road (PA 611) there's a building that looks just like a station building but I've never seen a station there on any older maps. Currently, that building is the home of a model train club.

Actually it is between Jenkintown and Elkins Park.
 #910031  by kyleg

aquadan005 wrote:
kyleg wrote:Was there ever a station between Elkins Park and Melrose Park? At Old York Road (PA 611) there's a building that looks just like a station building but I've never seen a station there on any older maps. Currently, that building is the home of a model train club.

Ah yes, that is what I meant. I should have known - I ride past that place about 12 times a week.
 #911178  by delvyrails

kyleg wrote:
aquadan005 wrote:

Ah yes, that is what I meant. I should have known - I ride past that place about 12 times a week.
There were several no-longer-existing stations in place before the current line-up replaced them. According to an 1893 "Official Guide", the stations and mileages from the then-new Reading Terminal:

Fern Rock, 6.6 miles at Godfrey Avenue,
Lawnton, near 66th Avenue?, 7.0.
Oak Lane, at the north end of the cut near the street named Oak Lane?, 7.5,
Melrose (sic), later Oak Lane and now Melrose Park, 7.9,
Ashbourne, 8.3 (at Ashbourne Road, former grade crossing where the pedestrian tunnel is),
Ogontz as described, 8.8,
Chelton (sic) Hills (at Washington Lane, John Wanamaker's all-but-private stop) 9.7, and
Jenkintown, 10.1.
 #915338  by limejuice

I find it peculiar that the station at Old York Rd. was called the Ogontz station, and Wanamaker's stop at Washington Lane was called Chelton Hills. Because Wanamaker's estate there was named Ogontz, while the residential area nearest the Old York Rd. station is known as Chelten Hills. This station also houses the Chelten Hills model railroad club. I don't suppose this was a mistake?
 #915429  by Matthew Mitchell

And another thing is that the siding track at Elkins (did I have that right?) was known as the Chelten Hills Layoff.

BTW, is "layoff track" a term particular to the Reading, like "cabin car" was to the PRR?
 #915432  by rdgrailfan

layoff track was at Jenkintown just below the inbound platform, it was only taken out within the past few years.
Elkins never had a service track.
Oak Lane (Melrose Park) had a two track yard with a hand crank crane and a storage building made out of an old wooden box car( now the outbound upper level parking lot) on the northbound side, and a center track that ran from the Cheltenham Ave bridge up to just below the foot bridge along Mountain avenue.
 #915506  by Matthew Mitchell

rdgrailfan wrote:layoff track was at Jenkintown just below the inbound platform, it was only taken out within the past few years.
Elkins never had a service track.
Oak Lane (Melrose Park) had ... a center track that ran from the Cheltenham Ave bridge up to just below the foot bridge along Mountain avenue.
Thank you. Now where did that term come from, and how specific was its meaning?
 #915753  by aquadan005

What year was the Fern Rock station built? Not the Subway terminal but the regional rail station. When I was a young lad going to school, many's a time I'd walk the tracks from Melrose Park down to the where the frieght tracks diverged at around Chew St, then I'd jump on the tracks that are now the Fox Chase line and walk over to Mascher and Tabor and hop off on my way to Olney High. Saved ALOT of token money that way, and used it for lets just say recreational purposes !
Anyway I don't recall the station being there back then.
 #915767  by tgolanos

aquadan005 wrote:What year was the Fern Rock station built? Not the Subway terminal but the regional rail station. When I was a young lad going to school, many's a time I'd walk the tracks from Melrose Park down to the where the frieght tracks diverged at around Chew St, then I'd jump on the tracks that are now the Fox Chase line and walk over to Mascher and Tabor and hop off on my way to Olney High. Saved ALOT of token money that way, and used it for lets just say recreational purposes !
The current Fern Rock Trans. Center was built during Railworks. My guess would be 1990 or 91. The original Fern Rock station was at Godfrey Ave, if I'm not mistaken.
 #916186  by aquadan005

tgolanos wrote:
aquadan005 wrote:What year was the Fern Rock station built? Not the Subway terminal but the regional rail station. When I was a young lad going to school, many's a time I'd walk the tracks from Melrose Park down to the where the frieght tracks diverged at around Chew St, then I'd jump on the tracks that are now the Fox Chase line and walk over to Mascher and Tabor and hop off on my way to Olney High. Saved ALOT of token money that way, and used it for lets just say recreational purposes !
The current Fern Rock Trans. Center was built during Railworks. My guess would be 1990 or 91. The original Fern Rock station was at Godfrey Ave, if I'm not mistaken.
Now that I think about it I do recall what was the shelter at Godfrey Ave. Not much to it as I remember.
 #916214  by glennk419

aquadan005 wrote:
tgolanos wrote:
Now that I think about it I do recall what was the shelter at Godfrey Ave. Not much to it as I remember.
The original Fern Rock Station at Godfrey Avenue had a full station building on the inbound side and a passenger waiting room (gutted in later years) on the outbound side.

http://www.thebluecomet.com/rdgFernRock.jpg