Railroad Forums 

• "Lost" stations on R3 West Trenton?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#92007  by R3 Rider

Am I correct in assuming that SEPTA has closed all their stations outside the city that don't have at least some sort of parking lot (even if it's as small as, say, Rydal's)?

#92039  by glennk419

I don't think Link Belt or DelVal College on the R5 have "official" parking lots but they are still open. Link Belt was even rebuilt a few years ago with a high platform. Crestmont on the R2 is mainly a walkup station but does maintain 8-10 spaces. Fulmor was another station with no official parking, it was eliminated 4-5 years ago although the platform still remains.

#92186  by aem7

If memory serves me right, ConRail closed Fairless Jct., Parkland, and Crescentville stations around 1978. All the other station closures were done by Septa after 1983.

#92293  by AlexC

Is Eddington still open?

#92367  by R3 Rider

It's still listed on the most recent R7 schedule.

#92370  by glennk419

AlexC wrote:Is Eddington still open?
Yes, Eddington is still open. I guess we should call that a "walk down" station. :wink:
 #1418469  by TrainPhotos

Was out riding around looking for interurban & railroad remnants a bunch the last few months. Right by where this "parkland" stop was, the namesake road paraleling the rail line bows out toward the rail line. Wondering if this is where it was, or if it was by the dead end street. Now that the leaves are all gone, I'd be happy to take another look & take some photos for you all.
 #1418483  by glennk419

I believe you are correct that Parkland Station was adjacent to Parkland Avenue. Pictures from 1934 show it as not much more than a couple small passenger shelters. Apparently it was strictly a "walk up" station and there was also a pedestrian overpass from which you may be able to find some remnants.There was also another station named Janney between Parkland and Neshaminy Falls.
 #1418547  by faxman

as per a 1960 ETT Parkland Roeloff where mostly flag stops. it also show a 4 track main from Neshaminy Falls to Yardly. the NY short line show 2 track main from west Ttrenton to wanye juct
 #1418569  by amtrakhogger

faxman wrote:as per a 1960 ETT Parkland Roeloff where mostly flag stops. it also show a 4 track main from Neshaminy Falls to Yardly. the NY short line show 2 track main from west Ttrenton to wanye juct
Roelofs was also an Interlocking (RO.)

Re:

#1418675  by ExCon90

R3 Rider wrote:Am I correct in assuming that SEPTA has closed all their stations outside the city that don't have at least some sort of parking lot (even if it's as small as, say, Rydal's)?
Many stations on the Wilmington line lack parking; Ridley Park has only on-street, metered parking, and I believe that's true of a number of others, which have been "walk-up" stations since service began in 1871--that's why they're so close together.
 #1418726  by SCB2525

I think a reopened Roeloffs (with parking) would do great business, especially in the glaring geographical absence of the Newtown branch or any stations between Levittown and Trenton.
 #1418781  by TrainPhotos

SCB2525 wrote:I think a reopened Roeloffs (with parking) would do great business, especially in the glaring geographical absence of the Newtown branch or any stations between Levittown and Trenton.
Funny you mention this gap. There are some who want to re-open morrisville as a joint service NJT/SEPTA station. I personally feel that Penn valley would make a good flag stop, based purely on location along the line. The reason there is so much push for a re-activated Newtown line (junction off west Trenton line near bethayres, power provided by bethayres substation), because of the gaps and awkward routes to existing stations. That, and the overcrowding west Trenton line trains & packed parking lots at langhorne & woodbourne.
 #1418786  by westernfalls

SCB2525 wrote:I think a reopened Roelofs (with parking) would do great business, especially in the glaring geographical absence of the Newtown branch or any stations between Levittown and Trenton.
It would be great but making it handicapped accessible would be quite a challenge with the present track configuration.
Woodbourne and Langhorne have the same problem but those stations already exist; Roelofs would be new construction.