Railroad Forums 

• Slightly Off-Topic: HuffPost Article: Texting While Walking

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1068223  by nomis

how far government should go in trying to protect people from themselves
there's the problem right there ... :-)
 #1068225  by ex Budd man

scotty269 wrote:Darwinism.

Don't stand that close to the edge if you're so distracted you lose you tend to lose your balance.
He didn't loose his balance, he WALKED right off the platform! "You just can't fix stupid!"
 #1068437  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I saw this video myself on local NY news...At first I could not note what station that this incident occurred at but after
seeing it on a news report this morning 7/31 that was about distracted users of gadgets I noticed that they used a longer clip
and I noticed the sign say "Berks Station"...

Knowing the MFSE at least Berks Station has good sight lines in each direction to note an oncoming train and that is one of the
stations in which the under running third rail was relocated out from under the platform...

That yellow stripe adjacent to the edge is there for a reason...and he paid no attention to it until he fell off the platform...

This shows that people should pay attention to their surroundings no matter where they are especially when they are walking...

MACTRAXX
 #1069387  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I have one more thought to add to this topic:
At least these people were not DRIVING while distracted!

MACTRAXX
 #1069550  by kevin.brackney

ex Budd man wrote:
scotty269 wrote:Darwinism.

Don't stand that close to the edge if you're so distracted you lose you tend to lose your balance.
He didn't loose his balance, he WALKED right off the platform! "You just can't fix stupid!"
Oh, but you can (fix stupid) and you will, because your supervisor(s), read: unit, has made it part of your duty description. Everyone today seems to want to abdicate their responsibility for taking care of themselves, whether it's a station platform or the Bagram Airfield passenger terminal. People seem to have a need to be led by the hand, have their noses wiped, and read a bed-time story.