Railroad Forums 

• Future of Route 15 as a trolley line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1522609  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 pm When was the last time girder rail was manufactured? Since new LRV lines have a lot of track not in pavement the demand must be minuscule.
I heard the last company that manufactured girder rail went under in the early 2000s.
 #1522745  by JimBoylan

I think that Europe was the location of that last company.
In the late 1970s, S.E.P.T.A. bought German girder rail for Germantown Ave. in Chestnut Hill, and some later projects. The grove is deeper and the head is narrower than U.S. of A. girder rail.
 #1531157  by bikentransit

This Saturday will be the last day of rail operations for the 15 for the foreseeable future. There's speculation that the 10 will be recalled to Elmwood to eliminate trolley mechanics at Callowhill.
 #1531165  by liftedjeep

bikentransit wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:39 pm This Saturday will be the last day of rail operations for the 15 for the foreseeable future. There's speculation that the 10 will be recalled to Elmwood to eliminate trolley mechanics at Callowhill.
Then why all of the new track installation along Richmond Street? I believe the Westmoreland and Richmond Street Loop has been replaced as well.

Ben
 #1531186  by ekt8750

This is just for the beginning of the next phase of the I-95 rebuild which includes the portion over Frankford Av. It's a long term project and there's really no point in running the trolleys only to 26th & Girard and Richmond St won't be finished for awhile. With the PCCIIs needing much work done, it just makes sense to shut the line down while everything gets done.
 #1531247  by bikentransit

It's not a rumor. It's been confirmed with top officials.
The line is being scuttled because only 4 of the original 18 cars are functioning. SEPTA refuses to fix them and they've had lots of problems because of poor design and accountability. I wouldn't be surprised if trolleys never return because the physical plant will decay from disuse. SEPTA doesn't have funding for new trolleys or to retrofit every trolley stop in the system for the new cars which will be low floor and will need to be level boarding for wheelchairs. SEPTA's proposed order only covers replacement of the fleet at Elmwood, so it's possible they aren't even planning on resuming the 15. The 15 has always had operational difficulty. It was a poor choice for the return of streetcars. The riders just want reliable service.
 #1531299  by JeffK

mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 am Except the 15 IS part of the modernization project:

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/18028.pdf
That's a DVRPC study, though. Is there any reason to believe SEPTA would be fully or partly bound to it? They've ignored the DVRPC on more than a few occasions. :(
 #1531580  by bikentransit

Correction to my earlier post: Last day of rail ops is this coming Saturday.

In regards to the future of the line, its all about funding. If the government is willing to fund new streetcars for the 15, it will be. If not, it will not be. That's usually how it works. Of course SEPTA will sway the government with their perception of benefit of rail vs. bus.
 #1531738  by pjabowling

Septa will be replacing the trolleys on the 15 route due to construction on I-95 as well as maintenance issues with the trolleys themselves. It is expected to last 12-18 months.

Septa has invested a lot of time and money replacing rails and catenary so I expect the trolleys to return. If they resolve the rusting issue with the trolleys they could return to the western portion, the eastern end was already using buses.
 #1531800  by ExCon90

There's a reference in the above link to "multi-door boarding." At the risk of jinxing it I'm wondering whether they might actually be thinking of introducing
Proof of Payment
at some point? In Philadelphia?