Railroad Forums 

• C LINERS

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#26855  by msernak

Are there any C-liner's left? If so where? If not, when was the last one scrapped?

#26857  by missthealcos

There are 2 CPA16-4's in Canada, CP 4104, a late model unit is in Calgary, and is operable. CP 4065, an early model, and former demonstrator is in the Canada Science & Technology museum in Ottawa, and sits basically in the same state as when retired. I don't believe either are currently accessable to the public.

There are 2 CFB16-4's in Alberta, both were converted to remote control cars by the BCR in the early '70's CP 4455, 4456, both early units. Thankfully, unlike the C-liner B-units that CP converted to remote(robot) cars around the same time, the BCR ones still look basically as they should, the CP ones(which were all scrapped in the late '80's) were much more modified.

I believe these are the only ones left anywhere. The A-units were retired in 1975, the B's in '71 or earlier

#34142  by missthealcos

CN had CPA16-5's, and CPB16-5's..all scrapped late '60's
 #34313  by trainspot

NY Central had 8, and Long Island had 5. Long Island also had 8 CPA-20-5s. No B-units were made of those models. The prime movers for those units might still be in use in a marine application somewhere!

#38720  by Johnny B

The Long Island scrapped (traded out) their C-Liners in the early 1960's, then started acquiring FA's in the early '70's for push-pull power-cab service. What a shame that these events didn't coincide-- The C's could've been converted like the FA's were, and perhaps survive up to the turn of the century. :(

#55646  by FM/CLC Fan

missthealcos wrote:There are 2 CFB16-4's in Alberta, both were converted to remote control cars by the BCR in the early '70's CP 4455, 4456, both early units. Thankfully, unlike the C-liner B-units that CP converted to remote(robot) cars around the same time, the BCR ones still look basically as they should, the CP ones(which were all scrapped in the late '80's) were much more modified.
I know that up till 2002 there were the carbodies of three ex-Canadian Pacific Railway C-Liner B-units that were formerly robot cars (I forgot their assigned numbers but have them written down somewhere) that are used as storage sheds in an industrial site in south-east Calgary, Alberta. As far as I know they are still there.

Want a recent pic of C-Liner #4104? (sorry about the picture size).

How about the ex-Squaw Creek Coal H16-66?

Re:

#857022  by keyboardkat

Johnny B wrote:The Long Island scrapped (traded out) their C-Liners in the early 1960's, then started acquiring FA's in the early '70's for push-pull power-cab service. What a shame that these events didn't coincide-- The C's could've been converted like the FA's were, and perhaps survive up to the turn of the century. :(
The C-liners wouldn't have been very adaptable as HEP generator cab cars because of, A, their 3-axle rear trucks; B, their greater length than the Alco FAs; C, the 2000hp or 2400hp prime mover was too big and had too much power for the HEP demands of a typical LIRR push-pull train, which averaged 5-7 cars. The FAs kept their model 244 Alco prime movers as HEP engines, at least for a while, until the railroad began replacing them with smaller engines and alternator-rectifiers instead of straight DC generators with their commutators and brushes.

Also, the Alcos had M.U. capability with standard 27-point jumpers. The LIRR C-liners had no MU capability, and this would have had to have been added for push-pull service, with new throttle assemblies and perhaps new control stands.
 #976129  by RGlueck

I have been aboard the C-Liner in the museum in Ottawa, and have taken pictures. She's in very tough shape, but totally restorable. When she was put aside, her windows went missing and she was heavily weathered. She's in old style paint, very rusted, but currently under cover and well cared for while she sleeps.