Railroad Forums 

• Trainmaster wanted

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#318913  by Bryanjones

Tadman wrote:The TVA has a Trainmaster, although its not for sale and still in use. And it might be one of those baby-trainmasters. I don't know much about the TM, only that it's a rarity. I was always surprised some shortline didn't snap up all the SP trainmasters after their retirement from commute service in SanFran - an outfit like A&M and their alcos. Hell the CNW was teh type of road to buy wierdo power around that time too - didn't they buy the N&W C628's about 1980?
The TVA unit is an H16-66, which was called a "baby trainmaster" and is the only example of this particular model left.
and to Petz, there is no such thing as a Lehigh Valley Trainmaster buried in PA. The guy who posted about it was making a joke and apparently you don't understand this. Its a fact that LV never had a Trainmaster and that there is not one buried in Pennsylvania, or anywhere else for that matter.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#318998  by GOLDEN-ARM

Oh yeah? Then how did Scot manage the picture?.......................... :P
I always thought the EMD's loaded up quicker, than any other loco types built. I thought that's why we love them for switching, and hauling heavy tonnage, in undulating territory. I guess I was wrong. :(

#319064  by Petz

Thats harm because i had a very small hope to see a TM somedays in operation again.........maybe somebody should push CP to restore their TM to operating condition if it would be possible.

#331246  by CLC Fan

Actually, CP doesn't have their TM (#8905) anymore. It was donated to the Canadian Rail Museum in Quebec. And from what I understand it's 100% complete and probably needs a fluid flush and a new set of batteries and it would probably start up.

Now wouldn't that be a sight!

#331356  by Petz

CLC Fan wrote:Actually, CP doesn't have their TM (#8905) anymore. It was donated to the Canadian Rail Museum in Quebec. And from what I understand it's 100% complete and probably needs a fluid flush and a new set of batteries and it would probably start up.

Now wouldn't that be a sight!
That beast belongs on the rails too.......In my opinion its the same shame like the PA - history (if volunteers of FNM and Doyle McCormick would not be engaged in) and other museum pieces existing in operable conditions that nobody is useing them in special train service or similar. After a man like Peter J. Smykla in Arkansas could bring back his RS 3 to operable conditions and drives it sometimes on his private piece of rail can hardly understand why Canadian Rail Museum in cooperation with train enthusiasts should not been able to do some operations with the TM too. And with more money and engagement it maybe would be possible to get more FM - products on the rails because switchers and the Baby TM are situated in the states, and as far as i know 16-44 could be found in Mexico.

#332102  by sixaxlealcoII

I did a quick inspection on the Trainmaster a few years ago. It does not have traction motors but there are other attributes that make it a very usuable locomotive. Does anyone have contact information for an official at the museum in Delson ?

Michael Thomas
 #845521  by jaygee

CP also has a Junior Trainmaster at Calgary. While CP likely does not own the unit, it has been sitting at Angus Shops
since 2003, IIRC. The H16-66 is painted in CP colors and numbered as an experimental locomotive, according to
John Hannah, whom I was referred to by Nancy Mosayani.