Railroad Forums 

• stations that once exisited-

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1004947  by northjerseybuff

I was looking at some historical photos and noticed New Milford on the PVL once existed. If the town or NJT wanted it back again, could it happen? While not in a downtown it could give people other options. I often thought Manville along the RVL could succeed. Any others i'm missing?
 #1004958  by amtrakhogger

The NEC has number of closed stations such as South St. Newark, South Elizabeth, N. Rahway, Colonia, Adams, Monmouth Jct, and Plainsboro. Most of these stations were closed due to low ridership. Monmouth Jct. might have potential to be reopened if the MOM line ever gets constructed.
 #1004984  by SecaucusJunction

If the stations closed, there was probably good reason for them to close. NJT already stops in too many places, there is no reason to add any more... Ask the people who commute on the Montclair Boonton Line
 #1004998  by Roadgeek Adam

SecaucusJunction wrote:If the stations closed, there was probably good reason for them to close. NJT already stops in too many places, there is no reason to add any more... Ask the people who commute on the Montclair Boonton Line
Well, with East Orange looking into opening Ampere again, the Monty-Boonton line riders will probably get stuck with another stop.

As for New Milford, the station's too close to Oradell. Also there's nowhere to put one now, with the need for parking.
 #1005016  by Passaic River Rat

northjerseybuff wrote:I was looking at some historical photos and noticed New Milford on the PVL once existed. If the town or NJT wanted it back again, could it happen? While not in a downtown it could give people other options. I often thought Manville along the RVL could succeed. Any others i'm missing?
Anything can happen given the availability of money and political will to act.
Do I think the money and political will to act on this will happen anytime soon? No.
 #1005034  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:If the stations closed, there was probably good reason for them to close. NJT already stops in too many places, there is no reason to add any more... Ask the people who commute on the Montclair Boonton Line

There may not be any reason to add more, but knowing NJT they will and can!!

So you would be naive to think NJT would not add anymore stops!!!
 #1005078  by Paul1705

Union on the Raritan Valley line and Hamilton on the NEC were infill stations, and both seem to be justified.

There have been proposals for an additional NEC station at either North or South Brunswick, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.
 #1005096  by N4J

Harrison is looking into restoring there station which would happen once the redevelopment is completed in 2025. While it may appear to be ridiculous Harrison is going to have alot of congestion issues transit wise if it isn't restored , the PATH can only handle so much. South Street in Newark will be a future stop on the PATH extension to EWR. Ampere could be avoided if the Newark Light Rail was extended down the Orange Branch , I know East Orange is looking into that aswell. I'm not sure how i feel about adding another Brunswick station , I think building the MOM network would solve overcrowding on the NEC , same with building the West Trenton line. Most NEC users come from towns along those lines... As for New Milford along the PVL , there really isn't a need for another station....
 #1005108  by SecaucusJunction

blockline4180 wrote:

Don't I know it. Can't wait for Wesmont to make the trek down the Bergen Line even longer than it already is!
 #1005111  by N4J

SecaucusJunction wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:

Don't I know it. Can't wait for Wesmont to make the trek down the Bergen Line even longer than it already is!
a Station adds between 1-5 mins , that's barely anything..... Of course people seem to whine over little things in this region....and when a stop adds alot of ridership the transit agency wins and receives more revenue.
 #1005114  by OportRailfan

Nexis4Jersey wrote:South Street in Newark will be a future stop on the PATH extension to EWR. ...
I doubt that, as there are no plans for it. Cliff is there and I doubt Amtrak wants people near that CIH.
 #1005117  by N4J

OportRailfan wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:South Street in Newark will be a future stop on the PATH extension to EWR. ...
I doubt that, as there are no plans for it. Cliff is there and I doubt Amtrak wants people near that CIH.
The City of Newark can dream....can't it?
 #1005123  by Roadgeek Adam

Nexis4Jersey wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:
The City of Newark can dream....can't it?
Yeah and I want Roseville to be a nice neighborhood....
 #1005139  by N4J

Actually Roseville is starting to change for the better....its a slow process with Newark.. But over the past 10 years the whole North Ward has cleaned up and now theres a growing Middle Class surge happening in Forest Hills....mainly ex-New Yorkers...
 #1005142  by cobra30689

Nexis4Jersey wrote:Harrison is looking into restoring there station which would happen once the redevelopment is completed in 2025.
Even though Harrison is listed as a station in the NEC timetable, I don't believe it was ever a passenger station even back in the PRR days...the two platforms were only served by the H&M/PATH...