Railroad Forums 

• Delaware River Port Authority advances Light rail study

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#981757  by RWERN

That is good news, I suppose, though who knows where money will come from these days. Plus, maybe in the years between now and then they might reconsider the routing. Having it essentially completely backtrack through Camden hardly seems to add much value. I'd route it south along S. Front St and the industrial spur there. Waterfront property is hot and I could easily see the Camden waterfront become something akin to the waterfront in Hudson County (particularly Jersey City and Hoboken), in which light rail access would be invaluable. Of course, even if they didn't have that happen, having a southern extension would be excellent as a possible precursor to a much more fleshed out passenger rail network for southern NJ.
 #1183470  by Hawaiitiki

RWERN wrote: Waterfront property is hot and I could easily see the Camden waterfront become something akin to the waterfront in Hudson County (particularly Jersey City and Hoboken), in which light rail access would be invaluable.

Tell me you're kidding.
 #1183921  by 25Hz

Hawaiitiki wrote:
RWERN wrote: Waterfront property is hot and I could easily see the Camden waterfront become something akin to the waterfront in Hudson County (particularly Jersey City and Hoboken), in which light rail access would be invaluable.

Tell me you're kidding.

Land there is cheap, and it is across the water from philly... It isn't inconceivable that it could become a mirror like jersey city has become...
 #1184186  by Steve F45

25Hz wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:

Tell me you're kidding.

Land there is cheap, and it is across the water from philly... It isn't inconceivable that it could become a mirror like jersey city has become...
maybe with the united states army guarding all the properties. The police dont even want to patrol there crime is so bad.
 #1184222  by south jersey trains

I believe the main reason for the rail line is Rowan U.for the college students to use it and the college has been expanding the last couple years.Also rt 42 is getting worse and there is not any room for extra lanes although they are putting in a way for you to get onto rt 42 when you are coming north on rt295,a major project.They should of put the rail line i first.
 #1184478  by Hawaiitiki

25Hz wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:

Tell me you're kidding.

Camden does indeed have many geographic and historical similarities to Hudson County, NJ, however it is now a different ball game down there. Philadelphia is still a major major city in the United States but over the past 50 years, its relevance has undoubtedly slipped. While in that time, New York City has solidified its place as America's most influential city. Hoboken and JC have boomed because NYC is plum-out of places to put people. This is not true in Philadelphia. Camden also still ranks in top-violent crime rates in the United States and would top more lists, if its declining population wouldn't make ineligible for many crime statistics. This does not bode well for a development in the next 20 years.

Despite my grim assessment of Camden, I do wholeheartedly support a "River-Line integrated" rail line connecting Rowan and the Camden Waterfront/PATCO. I just believe we need to look at Camden as more of a Newark(and its recent boom) than Hob/JC.
 #1184768  by tgolanos

radioboy wrote:Four years ago, Corzine held a press conference in Woodbury where he announced that construction would begin in 5 years.

I guess they'll start that right after the Red Bank MOM alignment he declared as well :-D
That's too unrealistic my friend. I'm putting my money on construction stating after they finish up that elusive Cape May Line. :)
 #1185354  by Hawaiitiki

south jersey trains wrote:The Camden to Glassboro line WILL... start constuction next year! The Cape May line will have SOME improvements! Dont ask me how i know just wait and see.
Even a website advocating/detailing this project gives the earliest construction start date as 2016. I hope you're right though.

http://glassborocamdenline.com/involvement/faq#q23