Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#965669  by michaelk

Oddly there's a picture on the net showing flooding over by observer highway in Hoboken. Looks like at least one train still parked in the yard. Hard to tell from picture but looked like single level silver body. Other pictures showing the river up over the bulkhead by the station. Looks like easily as high as the path stairs and elevator (I wonder if path sandbags that?)..but the website said it wasnt really much worse than normal heavy rain storm flooding.

I think it was hoboken411.com with the info
 #965709  by TAMR213

Wow! Also, although freight, I'm hearing Port Reading Junction and the Northern Branch are both flooded.

Sadly a lot of people were evacuated from Atlantic City to Trenton, any word on how their doing or if they had to move?
 #965732  by Amtrak7

Rail Service:
Crews continue to assess the rail infrastructure and are about 85 percent complete.
There are numerous downed trees across the rail system.
Several rail stations are flooded.
Rail service will be extremely limited. Customers are advised that they may have to seek alternate transportation on many lines because of significant storm damage.
There will be NO service on the North Jersey Coast Line because of severe flooding and downed trees along the line.
There will be NO service on the Gladstone Branch because of rail equipment stranded in Hoboken.
There will be NO service to the Meadowlands Sports Complex tomorrow night for the Giants/Jets Game due expected limited equipment and crew members. Coach USA will supplement its bus service from Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Light Rail Service:
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and River Line will operate on a weekend schedule. River Line customers may be subject to delays between the Walter Rand Transportation Center and the Entertainment Center due to flooding.
Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule.
 #965740  by hammerfang

I am scheduled to fly back from the UK tomorrow, from what I can see the flight should be ok, however I am worried about the train system working by tomorrow night (8 PM). Anyone think it will be up by then?
 #965741  by glennk419

grondie wrote:Trenton Station is under water..

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011 ... vacua.html
6ABC showed the water almost up the platforms and several layover train sets with water up to their floor levels. It's going to be a while to dry all that out, especially since the creeks and Delaware River have not yet crested.
 #965742  by Defiant

Amtrak7 wrote:
Rail Service:
Rail service will be extremely limited. Customers are advised that they may have to seek alternate transportation on many lines because of significant storm damage.
There will be NO service on the North Jersey Coast Line because of severe flooding and downed trees along the line.
There will be NO service on the Gladstone Branch because of rail equipment stranded in Hoboken.
There will be NO service to the Meadowlands Sports Complex tomorrow night for the Giants/Jets Game due expected limited equipment and crew members. Coach USA will supplement its bus service from Port Authority Bus Terminal.
So does anyone know what the limited rail service will mean tomorrow? Are they going to at least post a schedule? Anyone know if the BCL will be even running tomorrow? Any info would be appreciated.
 #965743  by jp1822

I have still been seeing pictures of the Trenton Train Station flooded at track level, and the Delaware River is supposed to crest tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. or so on Monday - in what would be the middle of rush hour.

Is NJT planning to even operate "limited service" on the NEC (i.e. Trenton-NYC)?

North Jersey Coast Line won't be affecting the NEC due to its cancellation of service tomorrow, Monday.

Still awaiting word from Amtrak on what they will actually do. Course NJT has had false alarms before of trains going to operate and then we see delays or cancellations occur.
 #965745  by ChrisU

Are njcl trains still being stored in Woodbridge and are they storing cl trains in other locations?
 #965758  by Amtrak7

jp1822 wrote:I have still been seeing pictures of the Trenton Train Station flooded at track level, and the Delaware River is supposed to crest tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. or so on Monday - in what would be the middle of rush hour.

Is NJT planning to even operate "limited service" on the NEC (i.e. Trenton-NYC)?

North Jersey Coast Line won't be affecting the NEC due to its cancellation of service tomorrow, Monday.

Still awaiting word from Amtrak on what they will actually do. Course NJT has had false alarms before of trains going to operate and then we see delays or cancellations occur.
NJT has pulled every single note regarding tomorrow's service from its website.

EDIT: It's been reposted.

EDIT2: Christie in the press conference said the rail side will be SHUT DOWN except for the ACRL. Bus/LR are the same as posted above.
 #965774  by Ken S.

Amtrak7 wrote:
jp1822 wrote:I have still been seeing pictures of the Trenton Train Station flooded at track level, and the Delaware River is supposed to crest tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. or so on Monday - in what would be the middle of rush hour.

NJT has pulled every single note regarding tomorrow's service from its website.

EDIT: It's been reposted.

EDIT2: Christie in the press conference said the rail side will be SHUT DOWN except for the ACRL. Bus/LR are the same as posted above.
M&E and Montclair-Boonton riders are effectively screwed. Lakeland is out until Tuesday, DeCamp may not be back, and that Coach USA route out of Morristown I'm not sure about.
 #965779  by mrsam

hammerfang wrote:I am scheduled to fly back from the UK tomorrow, from what I can see the flight should be ok, however I am worried about the train system working by tomorrow night (8 PM). Anyone think it will be up by then?
I presume that you're referring to Newark Airport?

If so, I would call a cab, if I were in your shoes. You can enjoy a trip on the choo-choo next time you're back in the States.
 #965786  by painterman

A co-worker of mine who lives in Aberdeen - very close to the Matawan Station - said there was a washout on the NJCL - just south of the Matawan station.
 #965790  by Roadgeek Adam

Any words on besides Trenton (and probably Bound Brook) to what stations are flooded? (Even from posters here who have seen something. I'm curious)
 #965794  by michaelk

TAMR213 wrote:Wow! Also, although freight, I'm hearing Port Reading Junction and the Northern Branch are both flooded.

Sadly a lot of people were evacuated from Atlantic City to Trenton, any word on how their doing or if they had to move?
I was on 31 in Pennington area. Looked over the side of the bridge that crosses the west Trenton line. There was a huge tree all accross the tracks.