Railroad Forums 

• NEC Track Questions

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#948774  by pumpers

I took a trip on the NEC yesterday, first in a while, and have several track related qeustions. I guess here is a good a place as any to post.

1. Every now and then there were a series of black "fins" that stick up between the rails (maybe 5-6 in a row, one outside the gauge on each side and 3 or 4 across inside the rails -- about as high as the tops of the rails) What are they?

2. Near some crossovers, there were metal bars about 20 feet long, painted yellow, outside the track on one side bolted to the ties with what looked like adjustable bolts (not just spiked down) What are these? Some king of gauge alignment devices?

3. There were stretches, about 20 to 50 feet perhaps, where it looked like black tarpaper between the rails. Often near wiring. Again, what is this. Temporary or permanent?

4. Finally, I forget exactly where, but on the right side travelling eastbound, I think but not sure between Metropark and Elizabeth, quite a bit of what looked like temporary track had been laid down. Not just loose welded rails but rails connected to ties. But it hadn't been tamped smooth or level - it was just set on the existing ballast off to the the right. Is this indeed some temporary track, or some assembly related to replacing ties/tracks. This was not part of Linden, Metuchen, or Deans yards.

Thanks, JS
 #948781  by OportRailfan

pumpers wrote: 1. Every now and then there were a series of black "fins" that stick up between the rails (maybe 5-6 in a row, one outside the gauge on each side and 3 or 4 across inside the rails -- about as high as the tops of the rails) What are they?
I believe those are dragging equipment detectors. I think they're near Elizabeth and Linden
2. Near some crossovers, there were metal bars about 20 feet long, painted yellow, outside the track on one side bolted to the ties with what looked like adjustable bolts (not just spiked down) What are these? Some king of gauge alignment devices?
It seems pretty obvious to me - at crossovers it keeps the different tracks properly aligned. Rather than having huge concrete ties spanning 2 tracks (which would probably be a nightmare for the track gang and their equipment), they connect them with the yellow connectors.
3. There were stretches, about 20 to 50 feet perhaps, where it looked like black tarpaper between the rails. Often near wiring. Again, what is this. Temporary or permanent?
At curves, they grease the inside of the rails where the flange contact. I believe it helps reduce wear on both.
4. Finally, I forget exactly where, but on the right side travelling eastbound, I think but not sure between Metropark and Elizabeth, quite a bit of what looked like temporary track had been laid down. Not just loose welded rails but rails connected to ties. But it hadn't been tamped smooth or level - it was just set on the existing ballast off to the the right. Is this indeed some temporary track, or some assembly related to replacing ties/tracks. This was not part of Linden, Metuchen, or Deans yards.

Thanks, JS
Not sure about this last one.
 #948806  by BuddSilverliner269

The untamped track that you have seen is off of track 1 between Metro Park and Rahway. Amtrak wants to put a storage yard in for work equipment instead of using the Virginia barrel siding which is located off of track B within the hole in Union interlocking. I haven't seen any work on this in a few months and I think its a waste of time and money since Stiles street yard at Linden sits abandoned and could be used like it was while tracks A-B were just worked on.
 #948881  by mrsam

Funny, that bare track -- looked to me like it was just some spare rail, being stored until it's needed somewhere else... Anyway...

Well, passing through the area, looking over that siding off track B, doesn't look like there's room there for a great deal of equipment. Plus, there's quite a bit of grade, there. There's plenty of room in the Linden yard. However, when you get out of there you've got some distance to go before Union, going against the normal direction of traffic, no matter what track you need to go to.

I think the reason Amtrak wants that storage yard in that spot is it's right at the interlock, and things shouldn't be tied up as much in order to get out of there.
 #948940  by BuddSilverliner269

Sam, I'm trying to comprehend your reason why Linden yard isn't used. Coming out of the yard on the west end is Merck int formerly Union interlocking and once at the interlocking , the work equipment can go anywhere. Interlocking like Union don't have an assigned directions the track equipment they are going to run out of this new yard will not be regular work trains but the cat car and other equipment that requires a Form D to run anyways so with that said, running against the current og traffic requires a form D.
 #948992  by pumpers

Thanks everyone. I saw the dragging equipment detectors in lots of places.

I guess I didn't explain my questions well enough on issues 2 and 3:
OportRailfan wrote:
pumpers wrote: 2. Near some crossovers, there were metal bars about 20 feet long, painted yellow, outside the track on one side bolted to the ties with what looked like adjustable bolts (not just spiked down) What are these? Some king of gauge alignment devices?
It seems pretty obvious to me - at crossovers it keeps the different tracks properly aligned. Rather than having huge concrete ties spanning 2 tracks (which would probably be a nightmare for the track gang and their equipment), they connect them with the yellow connectors.
The yellow bars were parallel to the track, connecting ties all from the same set of rails, not perpendicular to the track, connecting ties from different sets of rails.
OportRailfan wrote:
pumpers wrote:3. There were stretches, about 20 to 50 feet perhaps, where it looked like black tarpaper between the rails. Often near wiring. Again, what is this. Temporary or permanent?
At curves, they grease the inside of the rails where the flange contact. I believe it helps reduce wear on both.
This looked like a black sheet or covering between the rails, not on the sides of rails. And it was mostly in straight track, not curves. Almost like they were trying to keep a region dry, although with severe weather I can't believe it would be 100% effective.

Thanks again, JS
 #949003  by TAMR213

Yes the dragging equipment detectors are all over the place. Also at least a few in Highland Park. In addition, these are not heard over the radio, but rather report right to the dispatch (and I believe only when theres a problem at that).

I've heard about this new MOW yard and have been curious about it myself as I have yet to see it with my own eyes. How many tracks and where exactly is this? So if I understand correctly this yard will only be used to store Hi-Rails, and track equipment? How will this affect Adams Yard? The thought of using Linden Yard hadn't crossed my mind but that really makes perfect sense.
 #949086  by srock1028

pumpers wrote:3. There were stretches, about 20 to 50 feet perhaps, where it looked like black tarpaper between the rails. Often near wiring. Again, what is this. Temporary or permanent?
pumpers wrote: This looked like a black sheet or covering between the rails, not on the sides of rails. And it was mostly in straight track, not curves. Almost like they were trying to keep a region dry, although with severe weather I can't believe it would be 100% effective.
Thanks again, JS
I think the black sheet you are seeing inbetween the guage is a greaser. JT, Cruiser?? Am I close?

--A
 #949123  by mrsam

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Sam, I'm trying to comprehend your reason why Linden yard isn't used. Coming out of the yard on the west end is Merck int formerly Union interlocking and once at the interlocking , the work equipment can go anywhere. Interlocking like Union don't have an assigned directions the track equipment they are going to run out of this new yard will not be regular work trains but the cat car and other equipment that requires a Form D to run anyways so with that said, running against the current og traffic requires a form D.
Oh -- just idle speculation, nothing more. Nobody should ever confuse me for someone who knows what he's talking about.

I was just playing with Google Maps and found a handy way of measuring distances, and it looked to me like it's about a mile from Merck to Union, while the proposed yard would be right on top of Roads/Union. It just seems to me that coming out of the proposed new location, the maintenance equipment can get out of everyone else's way a little bit faster.
 #949128  by OportRailfan

srock1028 wrote:
pumpers wrote: This looked like a black sheet or covering between the rails, not on the sides of rails. And it was mostly in straight track, not curves. Almost like they were trying to keep a region dry, although with severe weather I can't believe it would be 100% effective.
Thanks again, JS
I think the black sheet you are seeing inbetween the guage is a greaser. JT, Cruiser?? Am I close?

--A
That's what I thought/said. I'm still not sure about the yellow bars parallel to the rails, and sorry for mixing that up.
 #949137  by pumpers

OportRailfan wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
Thanks again, JS

--A
That's what I thought/said. ...
OK, I think I get it. I assume the black sheet I saw is not the greaser mechanism itself, which is what confused me -- I suppose is some kind of cover to keep the grease off of the ties or off of the ground for environmental reasons. Sorry for being slow...
JS
And I found a schematic drawing of the dragging equipment detectors right here at RR.net of all places (about half way down the page) http://www.railroad.net/articles/modelr ... /index.php
 #949171  by cruiser939

srock1028 wrote:
Thanks again, JS

--A
Sounds correct to me, as Oport originally said...
 #949196  by SooLineRob

pumpers wrote:
While not NEC specific, I'll add my two cents:

2. Switch heaters? The description sounds like the tubes/piping used to heat the switches by burning propane during winter.
 #949199  by sixty-six

SooLineRob wrote:
pumpers wrote:
While not NEC specific, I'll add my two cents:

2. Switch heaters? The description sounds like the tubes/piping used to heat the switches by burning propane during winter.
Depending where it was, it could be the air pipes for the pneumatic switches.