Railroad Forums 

• So When Do The Comet Is get retired...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#3672  by ericware

Now that we have reached the end of the Comet II Rebuild Order, what is next. Rumor is by the summer time all of the lower level Comet Is will be retired, with the cab cars following shortly behind them.

I commute on the Bergen Co. / Main Line everyday and I am so sick of those Comet Is with the broken restrooms and the people getting stuck in the bathrooms. It is nice when they give us some new cars. So Does anyone know when the Comet Is are going to be retired or how far along we are on the Comet Vs.

#3695  by transit383

See the thread titled 'Comet V Delivery' for information on the Comet Vs.

As far as the Comet Is, it was rumored on the old forum that the cabs would be fixed up and kept in service for an unknown period of time. The low level cars will likely be retired soon, but I can see the high level cars as well as the Comet IBs sticking around for a while.

#3741  by BlockLine_4111

The Comet Is and GP40PH-2s (4100-4112) are classical in a sense that they predate not only NJT but also the inception of ConRail.

#4005  by njt4172

The Comet I's will get retired WHEN they get retired! :D

#4008  by nick11a

I wouldn't mind giving the Comet Is (cabs and high level coaches) another rebuild. If this did happen, they probably would convert the cabs to trailers. But, they always could use some coaches.

But this probably won't happen.

#4243  by ryanov

People hate on the C1's a lot, but I don't find them worse-riding or more uncomfortable than any of the other cars. Some of their seats are worn, but structurally they seem fine -- I have yet to find a car that was really screwed and wouldn't be helped by a rebuild. But I'm no RR engineer, and I don't know anything about the FRA regs and how they qualify or don't. I suspect they'll keep them as long as they can.

#4260  by nick11a

Most of them ride very smooth still. Very, very smooth actually.