Railroad Forums 

• Engine 501 on the River LINE

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#927718  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote:It's been a while since any news on #502. I'm assuming she is still sitting out of service? I am curious too... when, (if ever) will any decision be made on #502?
I thought the decision HAD been made: store 502 on the River LINE to increase light rail's losses.
 #978388  by airman00

Is #502 still rusting away in the same spot? Or has any attempt been made to fix her? (it's been 6+ months and nothing about her)
 #978485  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote:Is #502 still rusting away in the same spot? Or has any attempt been made to fix her? (it's been 6+ months and nothing about her)
Yes.
Apparently not.
 #1299854  by airman00

Please forgive me as I don't want to start any wars here, (nor do I wish to start a new thread), but I am genuinely curious in wanting to know why NJT has allowed #502 to sit and rust for this many years without making a decision about her? It's nice to know she hasn't been scrapped, but it seems clear to me NJT has no intention of ever seeing this unit operate again, so why not sell it to Larry's truck and electric (LTEX). Perhaps they could give it some attention. After all they repaired former NJT switchers the #500 and #501, and njt considered them parts units.
 #1309281  by PVRX1

502 still owned by NJT or did it transfer to South Jersey RailCorp. (light rail) some years back.
 #1309634  by airman00

The last I can recall is that #502 is/was still on the NJT active roster. And someone said she was still blue-carded and still on the employee timetable. (forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn) Whether or not that is still the case I have no idea.
 #1406603  by liftedjeep

Pictures of NJT #502 STILL rusting away in NJT's Haines MoW Yard in Pennsauken. These shots were taken this evening:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4571541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Close-up of #502":

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4571539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sad to see.....
Ben