Railroad Forums 

• Security Concerns with New York Penn

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#119  by nick11a

With the recent terrorist attack in Spain, I have been wondering about the security in New York Penn. I know they have the armed guards there but besides that, are there other types of saftey things? With a place so big and so busy, it concerns me that a terrorist attack may be staged there. Do they have any hidden detection devices for explosives and the like?

It really is a horrible trajedy with what happened in Spain. I hope that Spain along with the other major rail lines in the world take this seriously and up the ante on security.

#165  by Jtgshu

I really didn't want to watch any of news about the terror attacks in Spain, but I happened to catch it on the news.........

But things are scary, and this is a scary world right now. What happened in Spain could have happened here in NY, NJ on MTA or NJT or LIRR or Septa or anywhere, on any train, at any time.

It shows what COULD be done. It could be a lot worse. I know for a fact that security has been stepped up, and I know more is being done than we know or notice in regards to security on the trains, in the stations, etc. But still - it wouldn't be real hard to do the same or a similiar thing on an NJT train or whatever or whereever.

We all, myself, my fellow RR'ers, you passengers must all keep an eye out for things. Alertness has prevented several possible situations in the recent past, and continued alertness by EVERYONE will keep the railroads that keep the region moving and safe.....

May God Bless those and their families who were hurt/killed in Spain.

#185  by Guest

Yeah, I know what you mean Jt. I haven't watched the news myself- I just read about it. It is scary. You just hope and pray something like this never happens here. It is better that people be overly cautious about this stuff.

#188  by nick11a

Anonymous wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean Jt. I haven't watched the news myself- I just read about it. It is scary. You just hope and pray something like this never happens here. It is better that people be overly cautious about this stuff.
Drat! That was me! I'm still getting used to this new stuff.
 #216  by Gruntled

NY Penn is very well patrolled... NYC Cops, LIRR cops, NJT cops, AMTRAK cops, Nasty I mean National Gaurd, even the USPS has police there. Someone would have to be nuts to try to duplicate Madrid in NY Penn.

#220  by nick11a

Well, I did actually catch a bit of the news tonight or rather this morning on CNN and in light of the Spain attack, CNN is questioning how safe our rail systems are. I do believe NYP is very well patrolled and I also presume that they have other securtiy measures in place that we are not even aware .

#315  by psct29

Heightened Security (on top of what we already have) will be the norm for the next few weeks...NYP has a ton of security assigned to it, though I've seen less at GCT. Newark has always had a high police presence even before 9/11.

On a related note, I'm getting deployed to NYC for Homeland Security patrols next week. Though it was scheduled before this whole spain incident, I'm sure that it will now play a larger role in what we end up doing like boarding more ships, etc.
 #358  by CarterB

The largest problem may well be not the stations themselves, but 'boarders' from any of hundreds of suburban stations heading to NYP or any other major terminal/station, then setting off devices when they arrive at that location a la what happened in Madrid.

It is going to be extremely difficult to defend against that kind of scenario.

The real bottom line is that the event or even threat of such can hugely affect the economy, the costs of Homeland Security, and the utilization of the railroads.

We need more and better on-the-ground undercover agents, ears, informants etc. to better become aware of threats, and more importantly, the cells or groups capable of them.

While there are those who may carp about the 'freedoms lost' in the Patriot Act, unless we get better at identifying the 'bad guys' it isn't a matter of 'if'....but 'when'

#593  by transit383

Saw on the World News tonight, the one on Channel 4 (I can't remember if it's Tom Brokaw or not), that the authorities found an undetonated bomb on one of the trains. It was concealed inside a large duffle bag and weighed 22 pounds. It was encased in a plaster type material with nails and screws on the outside for maximum shrapnel effect. The bomb was linked to a cell phone which in turn detonated it and set off the dynamite.

Now, I think NJT has done a darn good job with suspicious unattended packages and possible places to conceal bombs, in stations at least. They got rid of the garbage cans in some stations and replaced them with those clear plastic bags on hangers and they seem to really stress the unattended package rule, especially on their security info posters. I'd say the stations themselves are pretty safe, but once you get that package onto the train, then what? A person could very easily place it up on the luggage rack, or on the seat, and casually walk away...a problem not easily rectifiable (whats to stop the person from saying they need to use a restroom, where the only one is three cars up).

If anything, a rule should be stated that all packages and belongings must stay with passengers, regardless. That means that if you have to get up, plan on losing your seat, because everything you brought on the train is going with you. However, this problem gets even more complicated with the Secaucus and Newark Airport Stations, where passengers have lots of luggage. Sure, most of us are decent, hard working people that wouldn't think of doing what happened in Madrid, but it only takes one bad apple to repeat that catastrophe.

Now, comparing the equipment, are NJT's coaches of higher strength than those involved in the Madrid wreck? Those C5s look to be very sturdy, but looks can be deceiving. If the cars are stronger than those in Madrid, then the risk of a bomb going off at a station would likely keep platform casualties lower if the blast was contained (mostly) in the car.