Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#536239  by blockline4180

alewifebp wrote: the train had engine problems. He mentioned the train was hot and smelly, and then I asked him whether the lights were on and he said no, they were not. So, clearly they at least lost HEP, and it crawled in to Hoboken. Was this a PL42?

And better yet, was the PL42 pushing/pulling a smorgasbord of Comet IIM's,III's, IV's, and V's??? :P

#536432  by sullivan1985

The Machine wrote:A Question: What happened to the Comet I/IB's on this line? I specifically wanna know what happened to the 4002 set, the one with the IB. Plus, I usually now see higher number PL42s, not the lower numbers like I used to.
Re-assigned to another train that does a different rotation?
 #537657  by PlayMania

Does anyone know what is going on with all the site work that is going on around (not at) the Westwood station?

#537689  by RichM

There are two unrelated activities going on, not sure if this is anything close to what you're seeing...

The bandshell is being rebuilt and many of the sidewalks are being repaired, and the main east-west water lines are being replaced in both Hillsdale and Westwood.

But probably what you're seeing is the preparation for the new signal conduit (as I was corrected about two years ago) finally being installed north from Emerson.

#537691  by duey

Signal work, I believe. It's been moving up the line, with future work areas marked out all the way up to Montvale.

#537693  by PlayMania

RichM wrote:There are two unrelated activities going on, not sure if this is anything close to what you're seeing...

The bandshell is being rebuilt and many of the sidewalks are being repaired, and the main east-west water lines are being replaced in both Hillsdale and Westwood.

But probably what you're seeing is the preparation for the new signal conduit (as I was corrected about two years ago) finally being installed north from Emerson.
duey wrote:Signal work, I believe. It's been moving up the line, with future work areas marked out all the way up to Montvale.
RichM and duey, thanks for the response. I knew it was an NJT project since it was all NJT workers and equiptment working trackside and not the band shell or the Washington/Hillsdale Aves water line work.

I had an idea it might be the somekind of signal work since I saw them doing the concrete supports for new signals in Park Ridge a while back. Nevertheless, I wasn't sure. Just wanted to check.

Thanks again.

#537849  by Steve F45

is this signal work beeing done in anticipation of another passing siding?

#537969  by sullivan1985

Steve F45 wrote:is this signal work beeing done in anticipation of another passing siding?
All passing sidings are built. The last new signal to be cut in will be CP PARK just east of Park Ridge station. The next siding to be cut in will be the Long Siding which has been out of service for over a year now. This will most likely open when the east end of the sports complex spur is completed.

#538314  by PlayMania

sullivan1985 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:is this signal work beeing done in anticipation of another passing siding?
All passing sidings are built. The last new signal to be cut in will be CP PARK just east of Park Ridge station. The next siding to be cut in will be the Long Siding which has been out of service for over a year now. This will most likely open when the east end of the sports complex spur is completed.
Has an expected complete date of the project been anounced. Also, are there any crossing (i.e. Washington Ave in Westwood) refurbishments schedule?
 #543158  by Hawaiitiki

When all the new signalling and the Meadowlands monstrocity in complete, will it be possible to further increase bi-directional traffic? Hopefully, 5-7pm train towards HOB? Or is an Oradell siding neccesary for that?
 #543242  by sullivan1985

Hawaiitiki wrote:When all the new signalling and the Meadowlands monstrocity in complete, will it be possible to further increase bi-directional traffic? Hopefully, 5-7pm train towards HOB? Or is an Oradell siding neccesary for that?

Don't count on a siding in Oradell. There is space to build one but I think the town has put up to much opposition. However, when the work in the meadows is complete, "The Long Siding" will be returned to service.
 #543372  by nick11a

Hawaiitiki wrote:When all the new signalling and the Meadowlands monstrocity in complete, will it be possible to further increase bi-directional traffic? Hopefully, 5-7pm train towards HOB? Or is an Oradell siding neccesary for that?
A "blackout" period may be necessary. On the Gladstone, we have a blackout for eastbounds between about 4:45 to about 8 PM.
 #546596  by ff4405

I rode the 1:49 (PVL 1621) from Hoboken on Monday which had 7 cars. Was this an equipment move or is there a new set on the PVL with 7 cars?
 #546663  by sullivan1985

ff4405 wrote:I rode the 1:49 (PVL 1621) from Hoboken on Monday which had 7 cars. Was this an equipment move or is there a new set on the PVL with 7 cars?
7 cars sounds like a bit much. Could be just all that was available. As long as both ends have SES equipment on board, they can go to Spring Valley.