Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#524912  by SomervilleRailfan

I was coming home from an event at NJPAC and got to Newark Penn to take the 1:05 a.m. RVL train. I was told the line was shut down and we would be bussed to Cranford, where a train would be waiting for us. (The bus also took people to Union and Roselle Park stations to get their cars.)

Well...no train waiting in Cranford. The PA system did say there had been a derailment between Newark and Union...and that the RVL was totally shut down. A call to NJT police was able to get us more info (and let NJT know there was a busload of people stuck in Cranford at 1:00 a.m.). Finally the transit cops told us the line was back up and running, but that there were going to be delays in service.

The train that finally arrived was the 1:05 out of Newark -- the one we would all have been on if we hadn't been bussed to Cranford -- running about 15 minutes late.

So, two questions:

1. What's the story about the derailment?

2. Why in God's name does the NJT info line not stay open -- or at least have its message updated -- in cases like this? Calling NJT's 800-number only got a recorded message that NJT info was closed. We wouldn't have known anything if someone hadn't thought to call the NJT cops.
 #524930  by Passaic River Rat

SomervilleRailfan wrote:
An NS train derailed withing the limits of NK Interlocking yesterday. This is probably what you were seeing.
 #524943  by trainzrok

Passaic River Rat wrote:
SomervilleRailfan wrote:
An NS train derailed withing the limits of NK Interlocking yesterday. This is probably what you were seeing.
An NJ Transit Train derailed near union, the consist was: 4194,IIM,IIM, and Comet III Cab Car 5010

#524974  by Bay Head Local

Thats a really short consist for an RVL train, was it in service?

#524975  by thebigc

The 4194? Someone's definitely gonna wind up on the carpet for that! After all, if the engine went on the ground, that MNCR paint was most likely the culprit!
 #524992  by kdjohnson

trainzrok wrote:
Passaic River Rat wrote:
SomervilleRailfan wrote:
An NJ Transit Train derailed near union, the consist was: 4194,IIM,IIM, and Comet III Cab Car 5010
its funny, but I saw this train while I was waiting for the #40 bus at one penn plaza cross the bridge in to PS on the side that track 1 and A is on. I didn't this train could be in service, but I figured that Amtrak could have been doing track work on the track 5 side of Penn station.

K

#525004  by trainzrok

thebigc wrote:The 4194? Someone's definitely gonna wind up on the carpet for that! After all, if the engine went on the ground, that MNCR paint was most likely the culprit!

I was Talking to an Engineer and he thinks the RVL stole it from the PVL. The RVL hasn't had a Comet III in Years. The funny thing is, 4194 is metronorth, and 5010 is ex-Metronorth

#525011  by CNJGeep

5010 was recently in LB on an eletric P/P set. It certainly does get around, doesn't it?
And are you sure about the RVL not having Comet IIIs in years? IIRC, it happens once every six months or so.
If anything, the PVL rarely gets them; twice are the times I've seen/heard of a Comet III on the Ex-Erie Lines.

#525029  by thebigc

trainzrok wrote:
thebigc wrote:The 4194? Someone's definitely gonna wind up on the carpet for that! After all, if the engine went on the ground, that MNCR paint was most likely the culprit!

I was Talking to an Engineer and he thinks the RVL stole it from the PVL.
Yeah, OK.

Although it really doesn't work that way...

#525048  by Bay Head Local

So yeah, Im still confused, when did the RVL start using 3-CAR consist with MTA diesels from the Hoboken Division?

Arent all the trains on the RVL 6 and 7 car II/IV/V sets??

#525054  by Jtgshu

There was a derailment at NK where somehow covered hoppers got sideswiped and spilled their load, grain I believe it was. NO NJT trains were involved.....

The derailment didn't directly affect RVL trains, it was the clean up that shut down NK. RVL trains were running earlier in the day past the site, after the derailment, but CR shut down the RR to clean up and get freight moving again.

They didn't know when CR would open up the railroad for the two RVL trains and crews that were trapped in Newark and Hoboken. it ended up that the 105am train made it through - thats why they bussed to cranford.

The only people working late on the weekends are the train crews and dispatchers!!! Its a ghost town otherwise!!!

#525065  by trainzrok

Jtgshu wrote:There was a derailment at NK where somehow covered hoppers got sideswiped and spilled their load, grain I believe it was. NO NJT trains were involved.....

The derailment didn't directly affect RVL trains, it was the clean up that shut down NK. RVL trains were running earlier in the day past the site, after the derailment, but CR shut down the RR to clean up and get freight moving again.

They didn't know when CR would open up the railroad for the two RVL trains and crews that were trapped in Newark and Hoboken. it ended up that the 105am train made it through - thats why they bussed to cranford.

The only people working late on the weekends are the train crews and dispatchers!!! Its a ghost town otherwise!!!

NO, a RVL train HAD A BROKEN COUPLER! The NS Didn't derail

#525067  by trainzrok

CNJGeep wrote:5010 was recently in LB on an eletric P/P set. It certainly does get around, doesn't it?
And are you sure about the RVL not having Comet IIIs in years? IIRC, it happens once every six months or so.
If anything, the PVL rarely gets them; twice are the times I've seen/heard of a Comet III on the Ex-Erie Lines.

the last time we had a Comet III was back in 06, we had 5000,5001,and 5004

#525068  by Jtgshu

trainzrok wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:There was a derailment at NK where somehow covered hoppers got sideswiped and spilled their load, grain I believe it was. NO NJT trains were involved.....

NO, a RVL train HAD A BROKEN COUPLER! The NS Didn't derail
ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh, okay dude, my mistake

#525097  by rushhour

Jtgshu wrote:ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh, okay dude, my mistake
Shame on you railroaders!!!!

-JRS