Railroad Forums 

• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#519070  by Hebrewman9

Looking at the success of the "Raritan Valley Line Thread", and at the various ACL discussions being had on this forum lately, I thought it would be a great time to start an ACL Thread. This thread is dedicated to any specific discussions about operations on the ACL, such as schedule changes, equipment swapping, etc.

I'll start the ball rolling by openly pondering if we'll even get any Comet V's in regular service down here. They seem to run more smoothly than the other comets, and that could come in handy on the high-speed running down here. Why are Comet IV's (and sometimes III's) the norm? We don't really need the center door anyway; our dwell times wouldn't be much longer without them.
 #519075  by transit383

Hebrewman9 wrote:Why are Comet IV's (and sometimes III's) the norm? We don't really need the center door anyway; our dwell times wouldn't be much longer without them.
Every station on the Atlantic City Line has high level platforms. It makes more sense to run trains with center door equipped coaches for that reason alone.
 #519076  by Hebrewman9

transit383 wrote:
Hebrewman9 wrote:Why are Comet IV's (and sometimes III's) the norm? We don't really need the center door anyway; our dwell times wouldn't be much longer without them.
Every station on the Atlantic City Line has high level platforms. It makes more sense to run trains with center door equipped coaches for that reason alone.
Yes, but the loads aren't large enough for the center doors to make that much of a difference. Everyone entering at the side doors wouldn't cause any significant increase in dwell time.
 #519085  by Port Jervis

Hebrewman9 wrote:Looking at the success of the "Raritan Valley Line Thread", and at the various ACL discussions being had on this forum lately, I thought it would be a great time to start an ACL Thread. This thread is dedicated to any specific discussions about operations on the ACL, such as schedule changes, equipment swapping, etc..
How about something more radical? Reroute the ACL away from Philly in Pennsauken and up the current "RiverLINE" ROW to Trenton. Convert the RiverLINE back into a heavy commuter rail line. This would connect the ACL to the rest of the system, still allowing for riders who want to get to Philly via PATCO. Of course, it'd make the proposed NY-AC service pointless.

#519123  by Jtgshu

While there are some good things about the C4 cab cars, they can be a pain, but overall, IMO, and I think most of the RR will agree with me, that the C4 cars are the best in the entire fleet. Relatively simple (some computers, but not overly rediculous) but work well, and most importantly, are reliable!!!!
 #519147  by Hebrewman9

Port Jervis wrote:
Hebrewman9 wrote:Looking at the success of the "Raritan Valley Line Thread", and at the various ACL discussions being had on this forum lately, I thought it would be a great time to start an ACL Thread. This thread is dedicated to any specific discussions about operations on the ACL, such as schedule changes, equipment swapping, etc..
How about something more radical? Reroute the ACL away from Philly in Pennsauken and up the current "RiverLINE" ROW to Trenton. Convert the RiverLINE back into a heavy commuter rail line. This would connect the ACL to the rest of the system, still allowing for riders who want to get to Philly via PATCO. Of course, it'd make the proposed NY-AC service pointless.
I think they want trains every 20-30 minutes on the River LINE, and they don't want trains going down the ACL that often. They can't run heavy rail on that route at the same time as the River LINE, so they go with a more frequent, light-rail service. I doubt that there's enough of a rider base (or there would be enough of one) to really justify direct service between Atlantic City and Trenton on a regular basis.

#519165  by Notch 8

Personally I liked running the ComArrows and the old (unrebuilt) Comet II's. No computers, analog (dial speedometer) ADU,deadman pedal, and a 26E-1 brake valve. You had to work to run a rough train. The only downside, other than they were old, was the bell was mounted under the cab and rattled the floor when it rang. Which wasn't the worst thing as now I just let it ring from Pomona Rd. all the way to Absecon because I just don't hear it at 80 MPH.

Don't kid yourself about the C IV's. They are worn out. The seats are gray, no longer blue. The draft gear is beat up so there is slack action like a freight train. And somehow the mechanical wiz kids screwed up the SDU/EPIC computer interlock so if you have a 6-15 lbs. brake pipe reduction during a cab signal drop, the SDU instantly provides you with an overspeed penalty. Rolling turds. All of them.

#519174  by Jtgshu

Notch 8 wrote:Personally I liked running the ComArrows and the old (unrebuilt) Comet II's. No computers, analog (dial speedometer) ADU,deadman pedal, and a 26E-1 brake valve. You had to work to run a rough train. The only downside, other than they were old, was the bell was mounted under the cab and rattled the floor when it rang. Which wasn't the worst thing as now I just let it ring from Pomona Rd. all the way to Absecon because I just don't hear it at 80 MPH.

Don't kid yourself about the C IV's. They are worn out. The seats are gray, no longer blue. The draft gear is beat up so there is slack action like a freight train. And somehow the mechanical wiz kids screwed up the SDU/EPIC computer interlock so if you have a 6-15 lbs. brake pipe reduction during a cab signal drop, the SDU instantly provides you with an overspeed penalty. Rolling turds. All of them.
So THATS what happens!!!!! I never quite figured out that one out........all i know is BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP and then a few choice words..........

I do like the regular throttle though instead of the controller - that is a very nice redeeming quality of them! And most of the horns are REALLY loud!!! - but not as good as the C3s though :(

#519184  by Notch 8

I have to agree about the throttle. Much better than a two way not so joystick. Yes, only from an operating stand point, my prefrence is the C III's.
When they were down here all summer in 2004, the 5004 was my favorite. I could run that thing all night and be ready for a third round trip.... OK maybe not but it was enjoyable none the less.

#519251  by SJRR

Who else is excited to see the ACES this fall? I sure am! It'll be nice to see some new and different locos heading down the AC line. I remember when I was younger going to the Westmont, NJ crossing and watching the Amtrak trains go by. They used to FLY past that crossing because at the time there was no Cherry Hill station. So it'll be interesting to see if the ACES will do the same (since there will be no stop in Cherry Hill). Also a nice sight is watching the NJT trains pass under the several bridges that cross the Patco and NJT tracks.

#519365  by Hebrewman9

Little known fact: Amtrak did stop at Cherry Hill for a time (at least in 1994)
Personally I liked running the ComArrows and the old (unrebuilt) Comet II's. No computers, analog (dial speedometer) ADU,deadman pedal, and a 26E-1 brake valve. You had to work to run a rough train. The only downside, other than they were old, was the bell was mounted under the cab and rattled the floor when it rang. Which wasn't the worst thing as now I just let it ring from Pomona Rd. all the way to Absecon because I just don't hear it at 80 MPH.
On the Comet V's, the same rattling thing happens with the bell, but further back in the car. It's annoying.

All I want down here is some more variety. I barely even associate this line with the rest of the system, on so many different levels (even moreso than you'd expect).

#519419  by SJRR

Did they? Was there always a Cherry Hill station? I was pretty young and remember seeing the Amtrak trains book it past the Westmont crossing. Today, NJT trains usually slow either coming into Cherry Hill or exiting towards AC. I remember a few times when I was younger the school bus we were in would always get stopped by the Amtrak train. The driver would get upset because the crossing stayed activated for quite awhile before the train actually came. Good memories, I was quite young.

Hebrewman9 wrote:Little known fact: Amtrak did stop at Cherry Hill for a time (at least in 1994)

#519565  by Port Jervis

I wanna get down there sometime. How scenic is the ACL?
Industrial from 30th to Cherry Hill, mostly woodsy to Absecon with a few signs of civilization. Best scenery is between Absecon and Atlantic City itself. AC looks like Oz as you speed over the marshes.

#519576  by Hebrewman9

SJRR wrote:Did they? Was there always a Cherry Hill station? I was pretty young and remember seeing the Amtrak trains book it past the Westmont crossing. Today, NJT trains usually slow either coming into Cherry Hill or exiting towards AC. I remember a few times when I was younger the school bus we were in would always get stopped by the Amtrak train. The driver would get upset because the crossing stayed activated for quite awhile before the train actually came. Good memories, I was quite young.

Hebrewman9 wrote:Little known fact: Amtrak did stop at Cherry Hill for a time (at least in 1994)
Amtrak must have started stopping there pretty late into their ACL tenure, because the 1994 timetable had an advertisement for the station.

#519774  by NorEasterNick

Here's a little update: 4142 has unfortunatly been sent back north.