Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit equipment in music video

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#501613  by contrak10

You cant forget the Eric Clapton song Change The World that was filmed in Hoboken Terminal.

#501615  by ApproachMedium

Looks like an arrow III at the end there on track 14. Nice video, never seen it before. Rod Stewart is an avid model railroader and has a huge layout based on what I believe is a new york style train terminal. http://trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=2165

Speaking of arrow IIs since this is off topic but if someone thinks they are qualfied to answer a mechanical question about them feel free to PM me.

#501617  by radioboy

I'm curious, how do they get the shots of the moving trains in videos like this? Do they just shoot revenue/deadhead trains as they come in and out? Is a crew member paid overtime to sit and forward/reverse for the director? Do they have their own crews that rent the train and a track for the night?

#501671  by nick11a

You can hire crews and trains through NJT for scenes like this. Once upon a time in America was filmed in Hoboken Terminal.

Then there is the Station Agent which just shot scenes of MTA and NJT trains in actual work without hiring them. They did a kind of hit and run type of shooting... and got in trouble with the MTA as I recall for being trackside with a camera and acting crew. :-)

#501704  by Jtgshu

Its too bad Rod Stewart didn't purchase the 1263 before it was eaten by the giant claws in Port Morris yard......hahaha

That is a great song, ive always liked that song, and not just because of the "train content" hahahhaa

With the mention of his layout in Model Railroader, you gotta wonder if any famous people browse this site? We all know that there are "famous" railfans and model railroaders out there, but you gotta wonder how many famous "closeted" railbuffs there........

There are a LOT of "guests" on this site - haha - im sure at least some of them are people that we would all know!

Its cool though because its a hobby and an interest that transcends fame, fortune and money.

#501737  by blockline4180

There was another topic out there similar to this one, but I can't find it.

Here is a list of celebrity model railroaders. I know for a fact that Michael Gross, father from Family Ties, is infact a railfan.

http://www.boldts.net/TrainsCelebs.shtml

#501741  by ApproachMedium

Ah thats it! Neil young owns part of Lionel. I couldnt remember who it was but I knew it was some music celebrity.

#501748  by blockline4180

AntNJTrainSet wrote:Ah thats it! Neil young owns part of Lionel. I couldnt remember who it was but I knew it was some music celebrity.
You are welcome!

#501749  by ApproachMedium

Yes, thank you very much. :) I meant to go back and edit it after i posted but i was too busy sharing the info with my parents who found it interesting as well.

#501866  by nick11a

Obviously, this was a hired train to go back and forth all night... and the fog machine is a nice touch.

Hmm, I wonder if that crewman got paid as an extra in addtion to being paid for work. Looks like the crewman is a she in the video. Also like the waving of the lamp. :-)

#502205  by Sid Farkus

If you look closely at 1:16 you can see a U34CH Bluebird. And a 2:10 there's a corrugated coach coupled to a slider.

#502234  by CNJGeep

How come we can't really have conductors that look like that.
And I hope she knows she's not supposed to ahve any part of her body hanging out of the door. LOL-this was, I'm sure, long before any of THAT nonsense-this was filmed in like '89/'90.

#502465  by wolfboy8171981

Cyndi Lauper - Time after Time was filmed at the Morristown station.

#502981  by Sid Farkus

You sure about Morristown? You could be right but it's strange that NYSW/DO equipment was used in that video.