Railroad Forums 

• Turkeys on Ramsey platform

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#323915  by madmage

From here:

(click for big pic)
Turkeys try to get out of NJ by train

R
AMSEY (AP) — Some wild turkeys, it appears, were trying to get out of New Jersey before Thanksgiving.

NJ Transit officials reported seeing a dozen or so wild turkeys waiting on a Ramsey train station platform today. The line continues to Mahwah and Suffern, N.Y.

Dan Stessel, a spokesman for NJ Transit, said the sighting wasn't a joke.

"For a moment, it looked like the turkeys were waiting for the next outbound train," he said "Clearly, they're trying to catch a train and escape their fate."

NJ Transit workers began noticing the birds about 1:45 p.m. and followed their movements on surveillance cameras. A still photo shows a woman with a Macy's shopping bag near the turkeys.

The birds left and returned to the platform about an hour later, Stessel said.

"I have no idea how they got there," he said. "I have know idea how they left. They probably flew away."

Police in Ramsey, a town about 20 miles northwest of New York City, heard about the birds, too.

A dispatcher said the department had received three calls Wednesday about a dozen turkeys traveling together. They also caused a problem with car traffic Wednesday morning.

"From time to time, I've heard calls that there are turkeys on the loose," said Erik Endress, president of the Ramsey Rescue Squad, a volunteer group. "Maybe they're trying to make a break."

#323934  by sixty-six

Ahaha that's great.

#323935  by gravelyfan

I heard the Main Line dispatcher reporting this incident to an approaching train, asking him to make noise as he approached the wild turkeys.

I couldn't hear the engineer's reply, but the next thing the dispatcher said was something to the effect of "No, its not a joke"

#323941  by Wanderer

Now come on! There is no way that bunch is complying with the "Ticketed Passengers Only" policy! :-D

#323947  by sixty-six

Wanderer wrote:Now come on! There is no way that bunch is complying with the "Ticketed Passengers Only" policy! :-D
Hey! No fair! I don't see Bober's goons chasing them away!

#323949  by nick11a

Well, hopefully they're peaceful ones. I remember last year (I think it was last year) about the cases of wild turkeys attacking humans. Wasn't there a death too when a pack of them ganged up on a person? I forget.

#323957  by Wanderer

I seem to remember a few wild turkey attacks in Cranford last year. No deaths, but that might be what your thinking of.

I say it would have been funny if the turkeys had actually managed to BOARD the train. If anything would render a conductor speechless...that would have to!

#323958  by Jtgshu

I wonder if they are related to the two i ALMOST made turkey salad out of this afternoon in Lebanon...........

#323961  by Wanderer

Too bad you didn't have any MiracleWhip....

#323972  by NJT4207

Even the turkeys knew to stand back behind the yellow line.Stupid people can learn a lesson from them. :wink:

#324049  by Steve F45

Wonder if they stood on each others backs to get tickets out of the tvm. lol

#324078  by sullivan1985

Needless to say, there was some gobbling on the Hoboken Division frequency tonight :-D

Dispatchers where caling crews on the phone because they didn't want to make it sound like a joke on the radio. I dont blame them :-P

#324093  by alewifebp

nick11a wrote:Well, hopefully they're peaceful ones. I remember last year (I think it was last year) about the cases of wild turkeys attacking humans. Wasn't there a death too when a pack of them ganged up on a person? I forget.
I think your thinking of the Starvin Marvin episode of South Park, which I just saw tonight.

#324098  by sixty-six

Since they can't reach the TVMs, do they get charged the 5 dollar surcharge?

#324140  by boxcar

They didn't need tickets, I would consider them service animals!! The dispatchers were heard laughing in the backround when the ML dispatcher made the radio call to the approaching train.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL.

Boxcar