Railroad Forums 

• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1257222  by lirr42

philipmartin wrote:I also picked up a scrap of information about an Alp 45 that had trouble transitioning between AC and diesel.
A convenient day for such an issue to arise! Nobody will notice the pantograph stuck up when there's a big show going on just outside the station.
 #1257578  by braves

Question for Thirdrail7, you mention in your post on March 13 that there is a plan afoot from I understood, what does this mean, does this mean that the lower Coast Line, the Boonton Line and west of Dover on the Morristown Line are going to get a one direct ride into Penn Station by extending existing trains using dual modes or something else?
 #1258082  by srock1028

ACeInTheHole wrote:Anyone know which locomotive is on the set with 7021 as the cab today? i just missed cutting it off at Cranford. Thanks.
 #1258494  by Ken W2KB

Here's a Transit Alert from a little while ago. Shows a downside to the RVL - NYC service. Based on my 15+ years of commuting on the RVL Corridor wire troubles had relatively minor impacts, now they are no longer minor:

NEC, NJCL and Raritan Valley trains are subject to 30-45 min delays inbound and outbound from NYPS, due to Amtrak overhead wire problem.

Sent: 8:13 AM
 #1258503  by Ken W2KB

Ken W2KB wrote:Here's a Transit Alert from a little while ago. Shows a downside to the RVL - NYC service. Based on my 15+ years of commuting on the RVL Corridor wire troubles had relatively minor impacts, now they are no longer minor:

NEC, NJCL and Raritan Valley trains are subject to 30-45 min delays inbound and outbound from NYPS, due to Amtrak overhead wire problem.

And getting worse:

NEC, NJCL and Raritan Valley Line trains are subject up to 60 min delays inbound and outbound from NYPS, due to Amtrak overhead wire problem.

Sent: 9:28 AM
 #1258633  by ThirdRail7

braves wrote:Question for Thirdrail7, you mention in your post on March 13 that there is a plan afoot from I understood, what does this mean, does this mean that the lower Coast Line, the Boonton Line and west of Dover on the Morristown Line are going to get a one direct ride into Penn Station by extending existing trains using dual modes or something else?
I think I quoted the wrong post, but I was talking about rush hour Raritan Line service to NYP that is being developed.
Ken W2KB wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:Here's a Transit Alert from a little while ago. Shows a downside to the RVL - NYC service. Based on my 15+ years of commuting on the RVL Corridor wire troubles had relatively minor impacts, now they are no longer minor:

And getting worse:

NEC, NJCL and Raritan Valley Line trains are subject up to 60 min delays inbound and outbound from NYPS, due to Amtrak overhead wire problem.

Sent: 9:28 AM
I wonder if the delays are going to dramatically impact the turns would they will terminate and turn at NWK. It would follow a similar plan they institute for the M&E during a major disruption.
 #1258640  by Tommy Meehan

I just wanted to revisit this. That RVL trains running between Hunter and Aldene can and do use both tracks. There is no designated direction, both Tracks 1 and 2 are bi-directional. Freight usually moves on Track 2 and passenger trains on Track 1...but not always.

This afternoon Train 5448 to Newark was scheduled to stop at Roselle Park on Track 1 at 6:17 PM. Train 5441 to Raritan was scheduled to stop at Roselle Park at 6:18 PM on Track 2.

Edit - I wanted to edit my post to include a link to an NJ Transit page for the Roselle Park station. It has a "departure vision" feature so you can see what track the various NJ Transit trains will be operating on at Roselle Park. Use this link and click on View DepartureVision at the top of the page.
 #1258744  by Tommy Meehan

I just checked the DepartureVision screen again. They already have the tracks assigned for the morning rush. The trains listed below are shown operating on Track 2 except for the westbound (5409) on Track1:
  • 5404 to Newark 5:25 AM Tk 2
  • 2406 to Hoboken 5:52 AM Tk 2
  • 5409 to Raritan 6:18 AM Tk 1
  • 5408 to Newark 6:38 AM Tk 2
  • 5412 to Newark 7:09 AM Tk 2
Everything else looks to be operating on Track 1.
 #1258757  by ryanov

pumpers wrote:Why do you think Secaucus is a better place to transfer than Newark? The connection times to NY are similar - generally under 10 minutes at peak times. Is it because you just have to go up or down instead of down and up in Newark? Secaucus might have better escalators, although they are long and you do have those darned turnstile gates. Lot of choices to grab a quick snack or drink in Newark too.
I agree with you except for a reason the original poster probably was not considering: transfers to all rail lines.
 #1258758  by ryanov

Ken W2KB wrote:NEC, NJCL and Raritan Valley trains are subject to 30-45 min delays inbound and outbound from NYPS, due to Amtrak overhead wire problem.
I don't think this is a new thing. Overhead wire problems that put electric trains in the way are still going to affect a diesel line.
 #1258759  by ryanov

ThirdRail7 wrote:I wonder if the delays are going to dramatically impact the turns would they will terminate and turn at NWK. It would follow a similar plan they institute for the M&E during a major disruption.
I actually saw them turn a New York train for Trenton on track 1 the other day for the first time when they were having a service disruption. So I'd imagine so.
 #1258814  by F40

ryanov wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:I wonder if the delays are going to dramatically impact the turns would they will terminate and turn at NWK. It would follow a similar plan they institute for the M&E during a major disruption.
I actually saw them turn a New York train for Trenton on track 1 the other day for the first time when they were having a service disruption. So I'd imagine so.
Yep, they can turn trains Newark if absolutely needed. They did this during the LIRR Signal Fire in Penn Station NY in or around 2000 or 2001. Taking the PATH to 33rd st was an alternative.