Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#689191  by OportRailfan

I'm pretty sure we broke that law when we tried doing 2-3 brake tests in little silver station. We then followed that by 3-4 routine 6's after getting out of little silver's sycamore ave. crossing enroute to red bank for another 2 brake tests there haha
 #689257  by Kaback9

OportRailfan wrote:I'm pretty sure we broke that law when we tried doing 2-3 brake tests in little silver station. We then followed that by 3-4 routine 6's after getting out of little silver's sycamore ave. crossing enroute to red bank for another 2 brake tests there haha
I'm sure the LS PD were so happy when all of this was going on :P.
 #689474  by OportRailfan

I believe its SOP for Eastbounds' hinds clear Oceanport Ave. and tie up Sycamore...Westbounds the other way...so we only took up sycamore
 #689515  by Jtgshu

Yes, eastbounds must clear Oceanport Ave, while westbounds must clear Sycamore Ave. There are various special instructions which apply to differnet Xings at or near stations all over the railroad.
 #726049  by Eric Mezzo

I have an alternative. We should do the Lakehurst-Farmingdale-Jamesburg-South Amboy Alternative. I don't know why this was never brought up. Have the line go from Lakehurst up to Farmingdale take a left and go through Freehold and Manalapan to Jamesburg and have the line follow the rest of the Amboy Secondary north through Helmetta and Spotswood up to the Essay Running Track and connect up to the Coast Line right before the Raritan Bay Drawridge at South Amboy. You don't have to go all the way to Monmouth Junction and to connect up with the Northeast Corridor. Wasted time as I see it. And you can also thouroghly cover interior Middlesex county, apparently a problem. It's a mighty proposal considering all the rehabing and double tracking of rail and updated crossings and the sort but that's insignificant to the larger picture. I see it as spending money wisely to make money easily.

The stations:
Lakehurst, Lakewood, Howell,

Also, look at the link below under "satellite" view at the huge curved patch of dirt land at the curve before the ERT just below Raritan St. and Rt. 684. NJ Transit can use that as a yard for switching, maybe do run arounds and the sort. It will look like how the Coast Line joins with the NEC in Rahway except in South Amboy. Thoughts?

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... =en&tab=wl
 #726053  by Kaback9

We went through this a while back, the consensus was no as its a real zig-zag of a route. Also Middlesex County seems to not be on board with trains going straight out to Mon Jct, what would make them allow for trains to go through this way? More grade crossings on the Amboy Sec.
 #726057  by Eric Mezzo

Sorry about the stations being cut short, posted too soon. let me start again :-D

Lakehurst, Lakewood, Howell, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Manalapan/Englishtown, Monroe, Jamesburg, Spotswood, Old Bridge.
 #726058  by Kaback9

Eric Mezzo wrote:Sorry about the stations being cut short, posted too soon. let me start again :-D

Lakehurst, Lakewood, Howell, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Manalapan/Englishtown, Monroe, Jamesburg, Spotswood, Old Bridge.
read above post
 #726077  by southern sec. kid

Eric Mezzo wrote:I have an alternative. We should do the Lakehurst-Farmingdale-Jamesburg-South Amboy Alternative. I don't know why this was never brought up. Have the line go from Lakehurst up to Farmingdale take a left and go through Freehold and Manalapan to Jamesburg and have the line follow the rest of the Amboy Secondary north through Helmetta and Spotswood up to the Essay Running Track and connect up to the Coast Line right before the Raritan Bay Drawridge at South Amboy. You don't have to go all the way to Monmouth Junction and to connect up with the Northeast Corridor. Wasted time as I see it. And you can also thouroghly cover interior Middlesex county, apparently a problem. It's a mighty proposal considering all the rehabing and double tracking of rail and updated crossings and the sort but that's insignificant to the larger picture. I see it as spending money wisely to make money easily.

The stations:
Lakehurst, Lakewood, Howell,

Also, look at the link below under "satellite" view at the huge curved patch of dirt land at the curve before the ERT just below Raritan St. and Rt. 684. NJ Transit can use that as a yard for switching, maybe do run arounds and the sort. It will look like how the Coast Line joins with the NEC in Rahway except in South Amboy. Thoughts?

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... =en&tab=wl
Ive thought of that route as well but for that route one can only wish :wink:
 #726082  by E-44

They (NIMBYs) will lie down across the tracks in Jamesburg and Monroe. Again. That (along with opposition from South Brunwick and the Middlesex County Freeholders) is what stopped it in the first place.
 #726161  by FRN9

It seems better to focus resources on West Trenton and RVL with full electrification than MOM for right now as the people who live there don't seem to want the service.
 #726186  by Eric Mezzo

Kaback9 wrote:Also Middlesex County seems to not be on board with trains going straight out to Mon Jct, what would make them allow for trains to go through this way? More grade crossings on the Amboy Sec.
For Middlesex county to blatantly oppose rail service to their county when the whole point of this project was to include them too is beyond sickening.
 #726196  by E-44

Eric Mezzo wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Also Middlesex County seems to not be on board with trains going straight out to Mon Jct, what would make them allow for trains to go through this way? More grade crossings on the Amboy Sec.
For Middlesex county to blatantly oppose rail service to their county when the whole point of this project was to include them too is beyond sickening.
It's all about money and fear.

The money of the people who have expensive homes in South Brunswick/Monmouth Jct. along a handful of streets near the tracks, worried about their property values going down with "hundreds of trains running day and night."

It's about the fear and lies invented by local politicians ("hundreds of daily schoolbus crossings of active tracks") when the number of buses and trips that actually would cross the tracks daily when carrying children numbers only in the teens.

And the politicians even created a "civil war" by pitting northern Middlesex (North Brunswick, New Brunswick, Rutgers, J&J) against "poor elderly people in their retirement homes" in Monroe and people "who didn't know when they bought their expensive homes" in South Brunswick and Monmouth Jct. that those tracks in their backyards were "active."

The only people with a legitimate beef came from the folks in Jamesburg, where the route would run right through the middle of the town. And even that argument was full of holes.

Amazingly, people bought the argument that MOM would serve "only" Monmouth, Ocean and "Northern" Middlesex.

But somehow, our Freeholders were comfortable with okaying paving contracts for the widening of Rt. 1 for BRT lanes in that same area. Maybe that was before Middlesex got branded with having among the worst air quality of all counties in the state.
 #726316  by CJPat

FRN9 wrote:It seems better to focus resources on West Trenton and RVL with full electrification than MOM for right now as the people who live there don't seem to want the service.
Mind you that there are only a relative few that oppose the line as the vast majority of all 3 counties support it. Unfortunately, those few have the political clout, will, and/or photos to stop everyone dead in their tracks (pun intended).