Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#684753  by Jtgshu

Today, on the newest episode of "As the Wheel Turns............"

http://www.app.com/article/20090619/NEW ... l+MOM+plan
After testing the waters for support of a proposed railroad service stretching from Ocean County and running through Red Bank, Monmouth County officials say they are officially no longer on board that train.

The county freeholders have passed a resolution affirming "support for the Monmouth Junction alternative and opposition to the Manchester to Red Bank line."

To help prevent future flip-flops on the direction of the proposed MOM (Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex) rail line, Marlboro business owner Wally Tunison has come up with what he admits is a "ridiculous" proposal, but it's an idea picking up steam.

Tunison wants the county make a purchase offer of $1 to NJ Transit to acquire a railroad 12-mile right-of-way from Freehold to Matawan.
So the whole debockle 2 weeks ago was a "testing of the waters?" HAHAHAH I love the spin!

The purchase of the Henry Hudson Trail by the county should NOT be allowed to go through - the ROW should be kept in the states/NJTs hands. Yes, the county put a lot of cash into the trail, but they did so knowing that the ROW could be used again for future rail use. And if the county wants to purchase the trail, they should pay full or at least a fair value for the land to NJT, which, as a Monmouth county taxpayer, I don't approve of spending tens of millions of dollars to purchase the Freehold Branch.
 #685453  by Jtgshu

On today's episode of "As the Wheel Turns".....

http://www.app.com/article/20090622/OPI ... 906230308/
The Monmouth County freeholders have unanimously passed a resolution opposing the Manchester-to-Red Bank alternative to the Monmmouth-Ocean-Middlesex rail line — the only realistic option to increased Shore-area rail transportation — and affirming support for the Monmouth Junction alternative.

It is a short-sighted, cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face decision. If the freeholders refuse to come around and recognize the value the Red Bank line would have for Ocean and Monmouth counties — and the futility of holding out for an even scaled-back Monmouth Junction alternative — NJ Transit should proceed with the project anyway.
Red Bank made a "not in my backyard" stink about NJ Transit's preferred "MOM Lite" route, arguing the increased train traffic the line would generate — about 20 percent — would exacerbate already frequent traffic delays throughout the day. That is a legitimate concern. But it should not be a deal breaker.

NJ Transit should not allow parochialism and politics to dictate transportation policy. It should approve the Red Bank alternative without delay, whether the freeholders are on board with the decision or not.
Looks like the gloves are off!
 #686057  by E-44

Jtgshu wrote:On today's episode of "As the Wheel Turns".....

http://www.app.com/article/20090622/OPI ... 906230308/

NJ Transit should not allow parochialism and politics to dictate transportation policy. It should approve the Red Bank alternative without delay, whether the freeholders are on board with the decision or not.
Looks like the gloves are off!
Then the same argument would apply to "true" MOM to Monmouth Jct., wouldn't it?

How about a new MOM slogan aimed at all the hack politicians and their NIMBY backers? - Just say "Bite Me!" to political opportunists.
 #688081  by cruiser939

Well if this isn't the best example of NIMBY-ism, then I don't know what is: http://www.app.com/article/20090628/OPI ... armingdale
The train's coming and we're about to get run over. In all of the articles debating the route of the proposed Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex rail line, Farmingdale is always mentioned as a given. Were we consulted and told of the benefits we would reap? Never, because there isn't one positive aspect to having trains speeding through our town dozens of times every day and night.....
 #688087  by Ken W2KB

cruiser939 wrote:Well if this isn't the best example of NIMBY-ism, then I don't know what is: http://www.app.com/article/20090628/OPI ... armingdale
The train's coming and we're about to get run over. In all of the articles debating the route of the proposed Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex rail line, Farmingdale is always mentioned as a given. Were we consulted and told of the benefits we would reap? Never, because there isn't one positive aspect to having trains speeding through our town dozens of times every day and night.....
It appears that the NIMBY could use an education in Federal and State preemption of municipal ordinances. Or that the enabling legislation in NJ that allows municipalities to exist says that the municipality can only exercise such authority that the State delegates.
 #688088  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:Well if this isn't the best example of NIMBY-ism, then I don't know what is: http://www.app.com/article/20090628/OPI ... armingdale
Yea, i literally laughed out loud (and not just "LOL"ed....for real) when I read that letter -

Id love to be the engineer on the train going 60mph around the curve going out on to the Freehold Secondary!!!!!!! hahahaha weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! "Everyone on the one side of the car so we don't tip over" (in my best Keanu Reeves voice - which isn't that hard to do, just try to sound stoned......)

And if there was a station in Farmingdale proper, the same person would be complaining about the trains too slow through town and blocking up emergency vehicle access.......But if they got that town resolution passed - NJT better watch out! hahaa I hope they don't try to pull my train over!
 #688090  by OportRailfan

Fail on farmingdale's part

excuse us...we'll just route the line around the limits of farmingdale...
 #688107  by WaitinginSJ

People need to do research and understand what is actually happening. Why on earth would trains be running 24 hours, and how on earth do you expect to have no warning for a train that's approaching at fast speeds. He makes it sound like the train's going to be traveling through everyone's living-rooms and spewing more pollution than the cars that it replaces. If anything it would make the town more friendly for people to walk. As for the ordinance on train speeds, I know Vineland at at least one point in our history did have a speed restriction by local ordinance, not sure if there is anymore, but there is precedence in NJ.
 #688122  by cruiser939

I believe the author of that article has seen the movie Wrongfully Accused one too many times. In particular, this scene starting at about 2:30. That being said, the entire clip is hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVr5AJz2xNo

#688127  by northjerseybuff

Does NJT have anyone to put out the FACTS to these NIMBYS?? The mayor of Oradell had some outragous claims when they wanted to put in weekend/midday service...he claimed freight and crime would be coming...omg..the fear mongoring was horrible. I see it happening with this as well, and the mayor of Blairstown spewed the same lies as well..crime and property values decreasing...We all know the facts, but does NJT go out and explain to the NIMBYS there are no statistics to back up their false claims? A newspaper article in south jersey put up the crime facts on the River Line because of the NIMBYS south of Camden(PATCO project)....someone needs to promote NJT and trains...higher property values, less cars, little crime..etc
 #688145  by WaitinginSJ

northjerseybuff wrote:Does NJT have anyone to put out the FACTS to these NIMBYS?? The mayor of Oradell had some outragous claims when they wanted to put in weekend/midday service...he claimed freight and crime would be coming...omg..the fear mongoring was horrible. I see it happening with this as well, and the mayor of Blairstown spewed the same lies as well..crime and property values decreasing...We all know the facts, but does NJT go out and explain to the NIMBYS there are no statistics to back up their false claims? A newspaper article in south jersey put up the crime facts on the River Line because of the NIMBYS south of Camden(PATCO project)....someone needs to promote NJT and trains...higher property values, less cars, little crime..etc
heck I'll do it for free to anybody who can be communicated with irregardless of how much they care or can see and hear
 #688147  by Jtgshu

if farmingdale would merge with Howell Township and not be a "doughnut" community, then they can't say the train doesn't stop in their town!

This is the first I have heard of any complaints from Farmingdale folks - and I think that this persons opinion is not the same of the rest of the town....
 #688154  by JLo

heck I'll do it for free to anybody who can be communicated with irregardless of how much they care or can see and hear
But make sure you don't use "irregardless". It is not a word. :wink:
 #688945  by GSC

Some years ago the Asbury Park Press ran an article about how Farmingdale was going to issue traffic tickets to engineers who blocked the crossings in town. I don't know if they ever did, maybe it was just a warning.

Farmingdale doesn't have its own police force, they use both the State Police and Howell Police as needed, whether that means anything or not.

Like posted above, how fast would a train go through F'dale while taking a hard left turn to enter the Freehold line? And just how many trains are being planned to run on the MOM?

There wouldn't be a Farmingdale if the CNJ and PRR lines didn't cross there.
 #689018  by nick11a

GSC wrote:Some years ago the Asbury Park Press ran an article about how Farmingdale was going to issue traffic tickets to engineers who blocked the crossings in town. I don't know if they ever did, maybe it was just a warning.

Farmingdale doesn't have its own police force, they use both the State Police and Howell Police as needed, whether that means anything or not.

Like posted above, how fast would a train go through F'dale while taking a hard left turn to enter the Freehold line? And just how many trains are being planned to run on the MOM?

There wouldn't be a Farmingdale if the CNJ and PRR lines didn't cross there.
Oh, that's laughable.

The FRA does not have rules for how long a crossing can be activated. The first priority is to the safe operation of the train. The FRA does have rules though in regards to how long a standing train can block or activate a crossing. Generally speaking, no train is supposed to unnecesarily block a crossing. States have the power to set rules for railroad crossings within the state. No state allows for a crossing to be activated/blocked by a non-moving train for an excess of 10 minutes.

FRA Fact Sheet for Trains Blocking Crossings
State Laws in Regards to Blocked Railroad Crossigns

As for NJ, the only law stated is:

"No employee of a steam or
electric railroad company shall operate a locomotive, train or crossing gate in such a manner as to
unnecessarily prevent or interfere with the use of a highway for the purpose of travel." N.J. Rev. Stat. §
39:4-94 (1999).

So, blocking the crossings are necessary in the detraining of passengers in some cases. In other cases, a train is supposed to clear the crossing if at all possible. Illinois seems to be more clear and up to date with their law:

"It is unlawful in Illinois for a railroad to permit any train, railroad car or engine to obstruct public
travel at a highway-rail grade crossing for a period in excess of ten minutes, except where the train is
continuously moving or cannot be moved due to circumstances beyond the railroad's control." 625 ILCS
5/18c-7402 (b) (1998).

"Every railroad has the responsibility to operate in such a manner as to minimize obstructions of
emergency vehicles at crossings. If any such obstruction occurs and the train crew is aware of the
obstruction, the crew is to take immediate action, consistent with safe operating procedures, to remedy the
situation." 625 ILCS 5/18c-7402 (a) (1998).