Railroad Forums 

• The project formerly known as NERL

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#608  by Guest

So why did NJT change the name? I was hearing from a few NJT employees that the project will only serve Newark and Elizabeth to the EWR airport Station and some points in between. Is this true and what other areas will the NELR serve?

Will the project formerly known as NELR start from dotnwtown Newark and downtown Elizabeth and go directly to EWR Station(where it would terminate) and service some points in between? Is this project nessesary?

Sorry if according to some users that I should post in the light rail forum but theres very little to no activity and a a lot in the NJT forum. For some reason the NJ Railfan forum cannot be posted in at this time.

#910  by Irish Chieftain

There is no word whatsoever insofar as EWR being the terminus of this light rail project, and there never has been. However, EWR is supposed to be as far as MOS-2 goes.

Officially, the project has been split up into "Newark Rail Link" and "Union County Rail Link", the latter still being considered MOS-3 of the former. There are some quite viable destinations to be served on the Union County end of things, and NJT certainly does not wish to leave them out.

#995  by Guest

Thanks for the reply. Evever since NJT changed the idea and name the explanation they gave is to oconfusing esp now that the "Map of the system" Link is no longer there. If there was a map It would be simpler.

The way NJT came off is that From Newark Penn the destinations served would be Government Center, Mulberry St and another destinantion followed by EWR. I thought it was the EWR Station where passengers can get on the Monarail.

This would be a very simple plan. I heard the plan was changed so that Jersey Gardens Mall can have 3 stations. That overrated mall threw a monkey wrench into this. Heck the Rockaway Mall in Roackaway NJ and Garden State Plaza even New Port is much bigger then Jersey Gardens and has better variety of stores.

#2261  by NJTRailfan

Ever since NJT has renamed the project there is no longer a map of the system. Does anyone know if any of the segments of the Newark or Union County Light rail will serve the EWR Train Station or one of the EWR parkign lots?

I have a feelign that once the Newark Borad-Penn segment is finished the other segments will be finished long before MOM, W Trenton and cutoff will ever get off the ground. The only heavy rail project on the priority is that Meadowlands spur and the double track H Tunnel since they are funded by the PA of NY/NJ.

#2417  by Ken W2KB

I suspect that the decision on EWR has not yet been made, though the EWR station overwalk certainly has room for a couple more tracks. That could accomodate PATH or lightrail.

#2539  by Irish Chieftain

Ken W2KB wrote:I suspect that the decision on EWR has not yet been made, though the EWR station overwalk certainly has room for a couple more tracks. That could accomodate PATH or lightrail
The light rail was never intended to stop at the EWR Northeast Corridor station, but to stop on the grounds of the airport, connecting to one of the on-airport monorail stations. As it stands, it is still unknown what route MOS-2 will actually take once out of the downtown Newark area.

#2549  by Jtgshu

In regard to the Elizabeth portion of the project, now the Union County Light Rail or somehting to that effect, I caught somehting interesting in it......

It states that they propose to possibly use DMU's.

.........."The Union Cross-County connection would be either a light rail line extension of NRL MOS-3 from Elizabeth to Cranford Station or a diesel multiple unit (DMU) extension of service from Elizabeth Station west to other points on the commuter rail system.".......

Now, in my opinion, this means heavy rail DMU's. Maybe the project was seperated like it was becuase of this very factor. Using DMU's would allow the shared use of freight traffic by NS and CSX or whoever would be the operator of rail in NJ in the coming years, and shows the input that NS and/or CSX have had in this project and keeping the CNJ ROW as a viable alternative for future freight traffic in Northeastern NJ.

Maybe im reading too deep into it, but I think there may be a grain of truth to it...........just my opinion....

http://www.njtransit.com/an_capitalproj ... ct011.shtm

#2570  by Irish Chieftain

I saw that also. That would make for an expensive terminus at Elizabeth, however, requiring separate tracks/platforms for DMUs and LRVs, because they certainly could not be shared at the same times of day. Unless of course they are serious about the quadruple-track restoration? (Highly unlikely.) I also don't see why NS/CSX would want to use the old CNJ main ever again since they have the Lehigh Line all to themselves and don't have to wait for NJT to call the shots...

Besides, if there were any FRA DMU operation out of Elizabeth, I'd want it to go further east to Hoboken at least (even if it meant operation via the Mosquito Line to Oak Island and across the PRR/LVRR bridge linking Oak Island and Greenville, and thence to Hoboken...)

#2639  by Ken W2KB

The PRR/LV bridge route would seem to make a lot of sense. An option for that would be a complete loop; go south thru Bayonne and over the Bayonne Bridge to a wye, east to the SI ferry and west over the Arthur Kill draw back to Elizabeth.

#3299  by dave76

I see this project progressing slowly everyday, alot of work needs to be done.

#3460  by NJTRailfan

Well the Newark Penn to Broad St Segment is going along just fine althought it should be done quicker.

Too bad that CNJ Bridge was demolished otherwise this lightrail project could've gone much further like merging with the HBLR and easily formed into 1 system rather then 3 seperate projects like HBLR, Union County and Newark Lightrail.