Railroad Forums 

• Multi-Level Cars—Delivery/Status

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1197959  by nomis

ThirdRail7 wrote:
nomis wrote:
25Hz wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:I meant to ask this before, but does anyone know for certain why they dropped the speeds on the multi-level vehicles and is it temporary?
It is temporary until the FRA allows the ML2's to do 100. The speeds were dropped to 90 as a blanket so both kinds of cars can operate together on any line.
Isn't this standard with any new arrivals, the 90 mph limit?
New non-Amtrak equipment seems to have the arbitrary 90mph MAS associated to it when running on Amtrak rails until Amtrak certifies it for a greater speed.
It's not just non-Amtrak equipment. The ACS-64s are restricted to 90 as well.
Thanks for the clarification, i worded my statement from other info without an amtrak reference. I haven't yet 'heard' on BO or otherwise that they were at 90mas.
 #1198202  by 25Hz

It doesn't really matter, as the timetable is programmed to work with the 80 mph limited arrows. Only side effect is less room on the pjct-nwk super express trains to make up time, but usually not an issue even with the arrows from my own experience as a passenger.

Now, if amtrak had 1 and 4 upgraded to 125 as per the "raceway" upgrade plan NOW vs in a year or 4, then you might have an issue as NJT would be getting in the way of amtrak where those trains run on track 1 and 4, namely the ones that stop at pjct and new brunswick.
 #1198883  by ns3010

beanbag wrote:
ns3010 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote: or the Bergen Division

Where's that? Never heard of it.
Bergen County Line more than likely is what he meant.
I know that, I'm just enforcing Sirsonic's Proven Theory #3 :-)
Sirsonic wrote:"proper terminology is important"
 #1206384  by Jtgshu

CNJGeep wrote:The 4213 with four Multilevels went to the Meadowlands today.
3 of those cars (not the cab car) are brand new cars - they were okay'ed and put in service last night in Raritan...first revenue trip was this morning on probably 2406
 #1206505  by srock1028

Jtgshu wrote:
3 of those cars (not the cab car) are brand new cars - they were okay'ed and put in service last night in Raritan...first revenue trip was this morning on probably 2406
Somehow after Sports Line service, those 4 cars ended up in Port Morris and are on X201/1070 this morning.
 #1206704  by sixty-six

srock1028 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:
Somehow after Sports Line service, those 4 cars ended up in Port Morris and are on X201/1070 this morning.
HAH!
 #1207222  by Fan Railer

MrWill1985 wrote:I hear MARC is piggybacking off of NJTs Bombardier Multi Levels. Im sure they may have some differences but from what I read MARC is suppose to be getting Bombardier Multi Levels but Im not sure when that will take place.
The marc cars should start rolling off the production line, at latest, early this fall or so, since the NJT part of the order is almost complete, if not complete already.
 #1207331  by 25Hz

With MARC getting MLV's i wonder if the traditional holiday extras borrowed from NJT will cease?
 #1207741  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:With MARC getting MLV's i wonder if the traditional holiday extras borrowed from NJT will cease?
12 MU's are easier to run than 12ML....