Railroad Forums 

• NJT to lease AEM-7s and ALP-44s from SEPTA

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1491302  by ThirdRail7

sammy2009 wrote:I am nervous for this move....I am just wondering can these cars from SEPTA keep schedule and keep the speed.
I'm nervous for another reason. Weren't these engines unreliable since they've never been overhauled?
 #1491312  by CNJGeep

Let's stop and think for a moment.

NJT needs to boost their PTC-equipped engine count.
Suddenly, seven engines with working PTC are available at bargain basement prices.
Nowhere does it say the engines with working PTC need to be out on the road...

All I'm going to say is, anyone's who's getting tight in the trousers for these engines to turn a wheel may want to release that breath they've been holding.
 #1491313  by CNJGeep

ThirdRail7 wrote:
I'm nervous for another reason. Weren't these engines unreliable since they've never been overhauled?
Unreliable would be one of the few family-friendly phrases I would use, yes.
 #1491424  by NorthPennLimited

I wonder if the AEM-7 lease is for cash or SEPTA will exchange the horse power hours for some diesels from NJT to cover SEPTA’s work trains and gel trains.

I’m also skeptical the SEPTA motors will see revenue service to NYP from Morrisville. They could barely keep time running 6&7 car express trains on low mileage trips at 50 - 70mph. And they are as reliable as a flashlight from the dollar store.
 #1491432  by CNJGeep

NorthPennLimited wrote:I wonder if the AEM-7 lease is for cash or SEPTA will exchange the horse power hours for some diesels from NJT to cover SEPTA’s work trains and gel trains.
Probably $$$$. I've heard nothing to indicate Transit is going to trade a diesel a la MARC. But maybe one of the MP20s could head down. Those are probably the only things that fit through the tunnel, and SEPTA is NOT going to lease an engine that doesn't fit through the tunnel.
 #1491621  by boomer

ThirdRail7 wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:I am nervous for this move....I am just wondering can these cars from SEPTA keep schedule and keep the speed.
There is plenty of life still left in the old girls. Frazer shops have been working around the clock getting them ready and up to date as far as calendar inspections and other FRA requirements. If NJT chooses not to run them thats one thing, but even though they ain't so pretty any more they're not all basket cases.
 #1491661  by blockline4180

CNJGeep wrote:Let's stop and think for a moment.

All I'm going to say is, anyone's who's getting tight in the trousers for these engines to turn a wheel may want to release that breath they've been holding.

That's really a Damn shame... Here am I sitting here thinking the only reason NJT is leasing them is so they can use them on revenue trains on the opposite end(Instead of cab car) with the ALP45/46 doing all the work... It's too far fetched to believe that??
 #1496425  by blockline4180

NorthPennLimited wrote:Have they Moved since being delivered to NJT? Or are the wheels growing rust up in Morrisville Yard?
Growing rust, and will probably continue to do so!
 #1496655  by lensovet

ConstanceR46 wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrylrule/32829873238/

as serious as a funeral
i have to wonder — are they in such bad shape that this makes more sense than sandwiching locos between cars?
 #1496687  by sammy2009

ConstanceR46 wrote:So apparently the plan is to let them sit in Morrisville because them being leased means the required portion of the roster has PTC.
Atleast SEPTA is making a profit so they can put to that $63,000,000 Million gap they facing. lol