Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel To NYP Issues

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1485427  by Hawaiitiki

My poor parents trying to have a night out in the city were stuck in that unholy mess. They attempted to board an NEC train around midnight after a concert, didn't reach Secaucus until 2:30 am, missed their PVL connection (by a while), and had to Uber it to Hillsdale costing them $110.

My father who is approaching 60 is a regular commuter into New York-Penn and is exploring leaving the region (with his tax dollars) because of how badly the detioration of NJT has affected his quality of life. At least 3 times a month, he is forced to either Uber it from Ridgewood or Secaucus or call a relative to pick him up, effectively doubling the cost of what he pays for a monthly. Not to mention at least once a week being delayed reaching home by an hour because of delays. We as New Jerseyans have truly been failed and we can't blame anybody for wanting to/actually leaving this dumpster fire of a state.
 #1485435  by jamesinclair

Hawaiitiki wrote:My poor parents trying to have a night out in the city were stuck in that unholy mess. They attempted to board an NEC train around midnight after a concert, didn't reach Secaucus until 2:30 am, missed their PVL connection (by a while), and had to Uber it to Hillsdale costing them $110.

My father who is approaching 60 is a regular commuter into New York-Penn and is exploring leaving the region (with his tax dollars) because of how badly the detioration of NJT has affected his quality of life. At least 3 times a month, he is forced to either Uber it from Ridgewood or Secaucus or call a relative to pick him up, effectively doubling the cost of what he pays for a monthly. Not to mention at least once a week being delayed reaching home by an hour because of delays. We as New Jerseyans have truly been failed and we can't blame anybody for wanting to/actually leaving this dumpster fire of a state.
My gf just moved to Manhattan because the NJT commute was not reliable enough. Money saved on rent in NJ was being spent on wasted time, Ubers, and being uncomfortable.
 #1485525  by pumpers

What the heck was going on here?
https://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/20 ... o_pun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did the metal pole come from that punctured an NJ Transit train?
It happened in the tunnel. That would unnerve a few people, including me! Yikes.
JS
Sort of reminds me of those cheezy black and white Japanese monster movie reruns I watched as a kid on Channel 9, almost 50 years ago. Godzilla (or the other monsters whose names I forget) picking up a train and throwing it, or in this case, spearing a car with telephone poles and stuff like that ...
EDIT: at the Amtrak link in the first post, it sound like it may have been a piece of the pantograph.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106488&p=1485414#p1485414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1485608  by pumpers

Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:Sunday about 5PM both tunnels were again closed. After boarding we sat at platform close to an hour; conductor announced that both tunnels would be temporarily out of service.
As I recall Godzilla swam pretty well underwater, so maybe he was up to something outside the tunnels again, if not inside them...
 #1485693  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

pumpers wrote:
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:Sunday about 5PM both tunnels were again closed. After boarding we sat at platform close to an hour; conductor announced that both tunnels would be temporarily out of service.
As I recall Godzilla swam pretty well underwater, so maybe he was up to something outside the tunnels again, if not inside them...
It has been a few years since I saw the mid 90's version of the movie but IIRC Godzilla did enter MSG - and think that may have been the nest for its eggs. Did not see signs of the giant lizard Sunday though!
 #1492878  by n2cbo

pumpers wrote:What the heck was going on here?
https://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/20 ... o_pun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did the metal pole come from that punctured an NJ Transit train?
It happened in the tunnel. That would unnerve a few people, including me! Yikes.
JS
Sort of reminds me of those cheezy black and white Japanese monster movie reruns I watched as a kid on Channel 9, almost 50 years ago. Godzilla (or the other monsters whose names I forget) picking up a train and throwing it, or in this case, spearing a car with telephone poles and stuff like that ...
EDIT: at the Amtrak link in the first post, it sound like it may have been a piece of the pantograph.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106488&p=1485414#p1485414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMG, I remember those movies... I loved it when either the film would break or jam in the telecine.....