Railroad Forums 

• 1993 NEC timetable for North Rahway

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1478198  by Roadgeek Adam

I have a question in terms of research for North Rahway. I literally have gone through every newspaper in Rahway and every timetable site I could find to look for 1993 NEC timetables.

I have North Rahway opening as Scott Avenue station in 1872; being renamed in January 1936 to North Rahway. I have always believed North Rahway closed in 1993 when the shuttle for Merck was proposed in favour of repairing the old station, but I have never found anything close to a reliable source for it. Does someone happen to have 1993 NEC timetables on them in order to get the date down. Something I can use in research?
 #1478259  by Roadgeek Adam

R36 Combine Coach wrote:An educated guess would be North Rahway was discontinued with the fall/winter 1992 timetable, 10/25/92 (unless it was earlier in the summer).
See the problem is I need an exact timetable with exact proof.
 #1478398  by MACTRAXX

RGA: I checked an NJT timetable collection that I have access to and looked to see which NEC
timetables showed North Rahway as a listed station:

September 8 to October 24, 1992 - Does show North Rahway as a listed station and in schedule.
May 2, 1993 - Does NOT show North Rahway.

The October 25, 1992 timetable issue - which this collection does NOT have - is going to be the
one that should help determine when North Rahway was closed.

The NJT Form number of the NEC timetables then is R0070. There are dates listed on the bottom
back of the timetable folder: 8/92 and 4/93 respectively for these two NEC schedules.

Unfortunately I do not have scanning capability and have only limited access to these timetables.
They are kept for historical reference...MACTRAXX
 #1478484  by Roadgeek Adam

MACTRAXX wrote:RGA: I checked an NJT timetable collection that I have access to and looked to see which NEC
timetables showed North Rahway as a listed station:

September 8 to October 24, 1992 - Does show North Rahway as a listed station and in schedule.
May 2, 1993 - Does NOT show North Rahway.

The October 25, 1992 timetable issue - which this collection does NOT have - is going to be the
one that should help determine when North Rahway was closed.

The NJT Form number of the NEC timetables then is R0070. There are dates listed on the bottom
back of the timetable folder: 8/92 and 4/93 respectively for these two NEC schedules.

Unfortunately I do not have scanning capability and have only limited access to these timetables.
They are kept for historical reference...MACTRAXX
It's alright. Go figure multiple schedules were changed on October 25, 1992, Amtrak and all.

Also, the filenames, NEC is still R0070, so no worries. If someone finds it, they'll let me know I guess.
 #1479740  by gravelyfan

The attached extract of the NJCL Schedule (R0080) effective January 31, 1993 includes a note about the North Rahway closure effective with the issuance of this timetable. Since there was no weekend service at North Rahway, this means the last trains scheduled to stop there would have been on Friday, January 29, 1993. Westound 3235 @6:21pm, Eastbound 3238 @6:33pm.
 #1479744  by MACTRAXX

GF:

Good find showing the date and last two *NJCL* trains to stop at North Rahway: January 29, 1993.

As you may know the NEC timetable shows all trains for BOTH the NEC and NJCL north of Rahway.
The NEC timetable would show ALL trains scheduled to stop at North Rahway. On a related matter
I recall that a few "Rahway Locals" were once run - not sure if NJT eliminated them by this date.

Any NEC timetable issued before the closure date should show exactly how many trains served
North Rahway. More then likely this scheduled service did not change in the final year(s).
Checking the aforementioned 9/8 to 10/24/1992 timetable should answer this question
now knowing the exact effective date of the North Rahway station closure.

MACTRAXX
 #1479746  by gravelyfan

MACTRAXX wrote:GF:

Good find showing the date and last two *NJCL* trains to stop at North Rahway: January 29, 1993.

As you may know the NEC timetable shows all trains for BOTH the NEC and NJCL north of Rahway.
The NEC timetable would show ALL trains scheduled to stop at North Rahway. On a related matter
I recall that a few "Rahway Locals" were once run - not sure if NJT eliminated them by this date.

Any NEC timetable issued before the closure date should show exactly how many trains served
North Rahway. More then likely this scheduled service did not change in the final year(s).
Checking the aforementioned 9/8 to 10/24/1992 timetable should answer this question
now knowing the exact effective date of the North Rahway station closure.

MACTRAXX
I based my “last train” statement on the times listed in the October 1992 NEC timetable. They just so happen to be NJCL trains.
 #1479783  by Roadgeek Adam

I appreciate this guys. I really do.

Thanks for finding that.