Railroad Forums 

• NJT ALP-45-DP Supplemental Order

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1467264  by lensovet

for those who can't read French: there are two lines that go into a tunnel downtown and therefore use the dual mode feature.

one of those lines, to Deux Montagnes, is getting replaced entirely with light rail as part of a brand new light rail network. no need for dual modes since it will be all-electric LRVs.

the other line is getting cut back to a new, future transfer station which is just outside the tunnel. therefore a plain diesel will do.
 #1467335  by ALP45DP 4515

I wonder if NJ Transit will snatch up those 45's from AMT? They seem to be happy with them if they're ordering more, however I've heard from a family member who works with the 45's that the 3512C's in them require frequent maintenance.
 #1467344  by lensovet

I also wonder about Amtrak and their P32AC-DMs? How many more years of service do they have on them? Plus if they replace them they could rip out and stop maintaining the third rail on lines that are not shared with MTA.
 #1467367  by DutchRailnut

Whatever combined order of LIRR/MN and Amtrak will look like we know one thing yes it will be third rail dual mode and not overhead.
and it will most likely not be Bombardier or EMD .
 #1467413  by lensovet

DutchRailnut wrote:Whatever combined order of LIRR/MN and Amtrak will look like we know one thing yes it will be third rail dual mode and not overhead.
how come?
 #1467415  by andrewjw

lensovet wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Whatever combined order of LIRR/MN and Amtrak will look like we know one thing yes it will be third rail dual mode and not overhead.
how come?
both of those companies have had recent quality issues
 #1467426  by DutchRailnut

quality issues and financial issues , also their warranty is questionable at best.
 #1467707  by Matt Johnson

Too bad. My dream train is a Siemens Brightline set but with a diesel on one end and a Brightline loco with ACS-64 internals on the other end, painted in the RTL-III Turboliner paint scheme. :)
 #1467864  by Matt Johnson

Zuccaraillo wrote:So you’re imaging a Siemens Charger and ACS-64 on one train
Yep, in a nice Brightline-like integrated trainset package with the aerodynamic nose/coupler shrouds.