Railroad Forums 

• NJT Comet IV Cars

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1481402  by ExCon90

That sounds like what I've read of FRA requirements: you may not have to have it, but if it's on the equipment it has to be in working order. If you want to do without it you have to remove it.
 #1482543  by ryanov

They certainly seem to need them, though -- I wonder why not use the cars they have to mitigate the shortage. The reason they need those other cars worked on, presumably, is they need this equipment in the future. If they don't plan to use the IVs in the future for that purpose, it would seem like that is perfect. What do I know?
 #1482843  by andrewjw

ConrailRailfan wrote:If they got a few of the Comet IV Cab Cars leading trains again, the AC Line would not have to be shut down for five months either.
Not unless they find the crews for them.
 #1486671  by Zuccaraillo

The IV cabs have “outdated braking systems” deemed “incompatible with the ALP-46 engines”, which quite frankly should be perfectly fine when paired with Geeps or any of the older diesels. IMO they should’ve remained while the Comet V cabs stay with the ALPs and PLs.
 #1487098  by EuroStar

Zuccaraillo wrote:The IV cabs have “outdated braking systems” deemed “incompatible with the ALP-46 engines”, which quite frankly should be perfectly fine when paired with Geeps or any of the older diesels. IMO they should’ve remained while the Comet V cabs stay with the ALPs and PLs.
And of course one has to ponder why NJT ordered engines that would make some of their cab cars obsolete without contingency planning when they bought the ALP46s ... I imagine the brakes on the IVs are not compatible with the ALP-45s either. Was there a plan for NJT to be buying more MLVs or some other cabs that did not come to fruition under the Cristie administration? I know there were options on the ALP-45s that did not get exercised after ARC was cancelled, but were there options on cars (and cab cars specifically) that went unused?
 #1487119  by R36 Combine Coach

EuroStar wrote:Was there a plan for NJT to be buying more MLVs or some other cabs that did not come to fruition under the Cristie administration? I know there were options on the ALP-45s that did not get exercised after ARC was cancelled, but were there options on cars (and cab cars specifically) that went unused?
The unexercised option cars were delivered to MARC (2014).