Railroad Forums 

• North Jersey Coast Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1512868  by CentralValleyRail

Your Going to have 500,000 people trying to go see fireworks along the NJCL tomorrow between Long Branch, Asbury Park and PPB and yet there is no extra service. Last years 10:04 out of long branch was SRO. and then the next train was 11:32. They bay head shuttles have 2 hour gaps.

Only in NJ and within NJT is this acceptable levels of service...
 #1513344  by TSTII

Manasquan and Bradley Beach both had fireworks on the beach on the 3rd.

Based on lack of traffic and volume of walking families, I'd say 80-85% of attendance in Manasquan were local folks.

Also, the Parkway traffic was light heading north and south that night.
 #1513409  by CentralValleyRail

That is INCORRECT, I ended up driving because of how pathetic the levels of service were being offered on NJT not to mention that 2 Adults RT from SEC with parking would've been $95. ($65 for the train and $30 for parking) That is great and dandy and $$ isn't really an issue for me BUTTT to then wait until almost midnight for a train home from the Asbury Park fireworks (which were much better than Long Branch's) granted the crowd at ABP is something to certainly gawk at. Yeah uh no, not gonna wait that long.

I parked for free in Allenhurst (which was nice I didn't know there was even free parking at the shore anymore) went to the beach club there, $10 awesome little spot. Then walked to ABP (15 min)

Traffic on the parkway was very slow in both directions coming and going and the 10:04pm out of Long Branch was Standing Room Only to the gills per another friend who went to LB for the fireworks... Coming back sat in about 15 miles of stop and go traffic in the express lanes (usually only the local have an issue from past experience), there was no accident just a LOT of people like I predicted.
 #1513925  by Yankees1

Another BRUTAL Sunday on the NJCL during peak summer season, with both the shuttle and the NYP-LB service having trains cancelled left and right. Most of these trains are already SRO on Sunday, and cancelling them just makes it downright dangerous. New engineers can't get here soon enough.
 #1513938  by Ken W2KB

Yankees1 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:18 pm Another BRUTAL Sunday on the NJCL during peak summer season, with both the shuttle and the NYP-LB service having trains cancelled left and right. Most of these trains are already SRO on Sunday, and cancelling them just makes it downright dangerous. New engineers can't get here soon enough.
Travel Alerts
Jul 14, 2019 05:58:12 PM
North Jersey Coast Line rail service will continue to provide NJ Transit bus service as substitute shuttle service between Bay Head and Long Branch due to cancellations resulting from engineer availability for the remainder of the day.
Jul 14, 2019 05:58:01 PM
NJCL train #7660, the 7:31pm from South Amboy, is cancelled due to engineer availability. Customers to train #7260, the 7:40pm from South Amboy.
Jul 14, 2019 05:57:32 PM
NJCL train #4761, the 6:46pm from Long Branch, is cancelled Sun. 7/14 due to engineer availability. Customers to NJ Transit bus shuttle service.
Jul 14, 2019 05:57:17 PM
NJCL train #4756, the 5:19pm from Bay Head, is cancelled Sun. 7/14 due to engineer availability. Customers to NJ Transit bus shuttle service.
 #1514023  by kilroy

Monday is no better. From nj.com.
A New Jersey Transit train struck a Long Branch police SUV Monday, causing delays on the North Jersey Coast Line, though no injures were reported, authorities said.
The crash occurred on the tracks that cross Brighton Avenue, according to a statement from Long Branch police.
https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2019/07/nj- ... -line.html
 #1575829  by Yankees1

It has been nice to see weekend service back to hourly shuttle between 7 AM and 10 PM on the Coast Line. It's been a few years. Hopefully next Summer they restore the one seat express service on the weekend.

Also noticed they have been running the shuttle with 6-8 cars- presumably to allow social distancing if the shuttle is packed.
 #1575848  by GSC

(Over a year later...)

Great pic. I'm wondering about the way they are parked. They run in "pull" mode westbound, and have to run the whole loop to park this way. Then eastbound, they run in "push" mode, having to go around the loop again. Is this for inspection and maintenance of the locomotives? Seems like a lot of extra moves.
liftedjeep wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:29 pm All ALP-45's in Bay Head Yard (4/2):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5292230

Ben
 #1593781  by Matt Johnson

The southbound platform is boarded up at Hazlet with a sign saying that emergency track repairs on the Laurel Ave bridge will have the track out of service indefinitely. I assume the same at Middletown (as I believe the next interlocking isn't until just before Red Bank). I'm guessing related to this:

https://www.thejournalnj.com/articles/d ... el-avenue/
 #1593914  by NY&LB

This alert has been in effect since March 7th:
Hazlet & Middletown Stations: Possible Delays/Boarding Changes Due to Emergency Track Work – Effective Immediately
Delays of up to 20 minutes possible in both directions

Due to emergency track work at the Laurel Avenue Bridge in Holmdel, all trains at Hazlet and Middletown stations will operate on the Track #2 Platform (to Newark/New York) until further notice.

During this time, the Track #1 Platform (to Long Branch/Bay Head) will be closed at Hazlet and Middletown stations. All trains in both directions will board and deboard customers on the Track #2 Platform at both stations.

Train delays of up to 20 minutes in both directions may also be experienced on the North Jersey Coast Line while this work is performed.

Please allow for extra travel time.

We appreciate your patience during this temporary adjustment
 #1594186  by NY&LB

New posting on NJT website
Beginning on Saturday, March 26 and continuing for the next six to eight weeks, temporary schedule adjustments will occur on the North Jersey Coast Line and on trips from Rahway Station through PSNY on the Northeast Corridor to accommodate major repair work to the Laurel Avenue Bridge in Holmdel. Click Here.
Just looked at WEEKDAY to NYP, lots of timing adjustments but 3258 now runs express Woodbridge to Newark Airport and a WOODBRIDGE to NYP local has been added #3260, was that previously one of the other oddities, the Rahway Rockets or were those previously only on weekends.

On WEEKENDS to NYP there again some timing changes but there are three additional South Amboy locals, 7832, 7864 and 7866 that seem to fill in for trains that now skip some NEC stations.

A LOT of thought went into these adjustments and service may actually be better for those of us down on the Coast Line!
 #1594194  by Bracdude181

Now they just need to focus on being able to go one day without a train breaking down! Or having PTC problems, or having crossing lights break, or having bridges malfunction, or having trains go down the tracks without doors flying open, etc
 #1594721  by Bracdude181

From the North Jersey Coast Line twitter page:

“North Jersey Coast Line and Northeast Corridor temporary schedule adjustments are in effect for the next six to eight weeks to accommodate major repair work to the Laurel Avenue Bridge in Holmdel.”