Railroad Forums 

• river line at trenton

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1406406  by Steampowered

I dont get why the river line in trenton doesnt physically connect to the main trenton building ? Its odd they build it across the street ? Its like 200 feet ?
 #1406407  by ExCon90

There was some talk originally of a future street-running extension to the State Capitol; don't know whether it will ever happen now.
 #1406755  by alewifebp

I think that the plan was also to go to West Trenton station, which would be nice to link the two together.
 #1407531  by amtrakowitz

alewifebp wrote:I think that the plan was also to go to West Trenton station, which would be nice to link the two together.
In light of that, perhaps the RDG's Trenton Branch ought not have been abandoned?

Or any of this old PRR service that was on the timetables shown here and here, which included what is now the "River Line" departing from the NEC Trenton station and service further up the Bel-Del to Phillipsburg?
 #1407540  by ExCon90

At the time those routes were eliminated there was little or no public interest in or enthusiasm for expansion of rail service. The possibility of public support just began to be explored when the Erie Lackawanna got the New Jersey Highway Department, the predecessor of NJDOT, to recognize that the EL commuter services out of Hoboken were not going to survive without it. In fact, the only reason the RiverLINE got built when it did was that a proposed route to Glassboro got shot down by the NIMBYs, and the RiverLINE was Plan B.
 #1407851  by sean3f

Steampowered wrote:I dont get why the river line in trenton doesn't physically connect to the main trenton building ? Its odd they build it across the street ? Its like 200 feet ?
The station is not big enough, possibly it may have fit it on the other side where the River line originally connected( its now a parking lot for NJT). My main issue with the River Line is the hours. It does not run after 9 PM. I am sure the rider ship would improve if they has just a few trains between 9 and say midnight.

I have taken flight from the Airport and used the bus to get over to NJT Trenton. It would be nice if they had a better service between West Trenton and Trenton.