Railroad Forums 

• Man allegedly punched NJ Transit conductor in the face

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1400649  by Ken W2KB

Man allegedly punched NJ Transit conductor in the face. One of the hazards of doing the job.

"An Israeli man was arrested Sunday on aggravated assault and theft-of-services charges after he attacked a train conductor" Full article at the link:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016 ... iver_index
 #1401271  by FlashingAspect

Interesting. Is it me or these things happening more often then in the past. A lot of times they don't catch the guy. Are the penalties stiff enough?

Aggravated assault on a train conductor, who is clearly identifiable and engaged in the course of his duties, carries up to five years in prison and fines up to $7,500. Theft of service carries a jail term of up to one year.

Which sounds good on paper. But this guy was held on $5000 bail with an option to only pay 10% which to me has always been a cop out because it's really a 500 bail with no 10% option.

When I see stories like this it seems the resolution is never posted anywhere easily accessible and the pessimistic fella inside of me is highly suspicious that they are plea bargaining or downgrading the charges of a violent offender for a quick and easy conviction.

Do you think the prosecution will offer him a deal?
 #1401400  by GSC

I have a lucrative part-time gig driving a taxi. Two nights ago, our other driver (two of us on) quoted a fare to a possible customer. She was drunk and didn't like the quote,so she punched him in the face, causing his glasses to fall off and break. This was at a popular bar / club, older patrons. Two cops were stationed nearby, as always. Our driver called the cops over and reported what had happened. They explained that "since they didn't witness the act, they couldn't arrest her", but could give her a ticket for "disorderly person".

He has to go down to the township to sign a complaint against her. We know that if he punched HER, he would've been tackled and cuffed by the police and hauled in.

I hope this conductor has an easier time of pursuing his attacker. And the man gets what's coming, instead of a severe no-no-bad-boy finger shaking by a judge.

People are nuts.