Railroad Forums 

• Another Train Right Behind

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1401967  by trainbrain

Many rush hour trains have an "L" next to the scheduled times in the further out stops. This means that the train is stopping primarily to discharge passengers and may leave ahead of schedule if ready to do so. I suspect that this allows the comet trains to get ahead of schedule. The Multilevel trains have to deal with the tunnel slots and then the switches at Rahway to go from the NEC to NJCL. That likely makes them 10-15 minutes late while the comet trains are running a few minutes early.
 #1402909  by GSC

Thank you.

A headlight in sight behind a train reminds me of the CNJ / PRR days during the evening NY&LB commuter "parade". Sometimes they ran so close that block signals were displaying yellow over red behind the first train.
 #1403093  by OportRailfan

GSC wrote:... displaying yellow over red behind the first train.
Approach, Rule 285.
 #1403145  by cobra30689

GSC wrote: Another signal question: Westbound, there is a single target block signal before the absolute signals protecting Shark River Draw and the crossover before it. Eastbound, there is a two-target signal before the Shark signals in Belmar. What would this two-banger indicate that the westbound distant signal couldn't?

Signals have always fascinated me, especially the old CNJ 3-over-3-over-3 absolute signals and the smashboard at the river draws.
It's been a long time since I've run the NJCL, and have never had to crossover at Shark, but my guess is that the EB distant signal can give you a Medium Approach to a Restricting at Shark to cross from 2 to 1....thus the 2 heads. Remember this is 251 territory (for now), and crossing to track 1 would be going against the flow of traffic, and you better have a Form D to do so as you are going into non-ABS territory. Why the WB distant signal is only a single head, I do not know.