Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1397864  by Brandon4500

Hello all,

This summer I've been taking the NJCL to/from NYC sporadically. For some reason I seem to only get Comet sets, especially on certain trains that should have a Multilevel set (Trains 3255 and 3326 for example) due to crowding conditions. It seems like an overall lack of Multilevels on the NJCL because I tend to see them on NEC and M&E trains more often. Back in May, I used to take 3326 into the city on Mondays and I always had a Multilevel. Same thing with 3256, every time I ran into or rode that specific run, it had a Multilevel set up until I took it again this past summer. Is there any particular reason I've been seeing less Multilevel sets on the Coast Line or is it just luck? I'm also asking because starting this fall I'm going to have class in NYC and I'm wondering whether or not I'm gonna be seeing Comets on those OSR Express trains regularly.
 #1397913  by ThirdRail7

Some of it likely has to do with equipment cycles and turns since NJT started One seat rides. An example is unless something has changed, multilevel cars can not operate past Elberon. Since 3326 is now a one seat Bay Head-New York ride, the odds of you riding a multilevel are very slim.

Other such manipulations may have led to the changes.
 #1397998  by srock1028

Train 3255 was changed to run with 9 comets back in November 2014 I believe. Train 3256 was changed to run with 8 comets back in May 2015. Multilevel cars have been OKed to run west of Long Branch since the one seat ride trains started (May 2015). Trains 3318, 3326, 3363 and 3373 are scheduled to run with 8 multilevels plus dual mode. However, 3326/3363 sometimes run with 8 comets due to changes in the manipulations.
 #1398244  by R3 Passenger

Can confirm that 3318 runs with multilevels on the lower coast line. Rode it a month ago.
 #1399060  by sully7302

Multilevels aren't banned west of Elberon. What you are witnessing with a lack of multilevel sets on direct trains is pure coincidence. There's at least one set running on the direct trains now (saw one yesterday). Earlier in the summer all of the directs have them...but rotation of equipment has made the occasional 8 car single set come down here.