Railroad Forums 

• North Brunswick Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1396645  by trainbrain

Contrary to the name, it appears that the station will be south of New Brunswick, looking at where the towns are on Google Earth. According to Wikipedia, it's supposed to be finished in 2018. Is the project moving forward?

Also, since it will be near the Jersey Avenue station, will that station be "Great Notched" once North Brunswick opens? It already lacks weekend service because northbound trains that serve it must originate there, and southbound trains serving it can't terminate there. On weekends, the Princeton Junction express trains don't run, so there's no need to terminate local service there. It also hasn't been upgraded like the other NEC stations.
 #1396694  by EuroStar

Nothing is going to be opening in 2018. I believe that the loop and the flying junction were dropped due to cost (I doubt Amtrak has a problem with the general idea, but NJTransit cannot pay for them -- I would estimate that the cost of building them while keeping the trains running will be a few hundred million dollars) and I would not be surprised if nothing gets done on this for another 5-6 years at least. Eventually you will end up with a station in the area that can be served in both directions and it will be east (geographical north) of the existing station due to the need to have the switches west of said station in order to make it into the yard.
 #1403329  by jersey_emt

Contrary to the name, it appears that the station will be south of New Brunswick.
North Brunswick is located south of New Brunswick, so the name is correct.
 #1403609  by pumpers

EuroStar wrote:Nothing is going to be opening in 2018. I believe that the loop and the flying junction were dropped due to cost (I doubt Amtrak has a problem with the general idea, but NJTransit cannot pay for them -- I would estimate that the cost of building them while keeping the trains running will be a few hundred million dollars) and I would not be surprised if nothing gets done on this for another 5-6 years at least. Eventually you will end up with a station in the area that can be served in both directions and it will be east (geographical north) of the existing station due to the need to have the switches west of said station in order to make it into the yard.
Well that's a bummer. North of Jersey Ave and you are almost in New Brunswick , so what's the point, except I guess effectively an upgraded Jersey Ave, still with a lot of parking. And it sure shoots down the transit village idea for South (North?) Brunswick that's been talked about forever.
 #1403621  by jersey_emt

pumpers wrote:Well that's a bummer. North of Jersey Ave and you are almost in New Brunswick , so what's the point, except I guess effectively an upgraded Jersey Ave, still with a lot of parking. And it sure shoots down the transit village idea for South (North?) Brunswick that's been talked about forever.
There's still 5 miles of track west of the Jersey Avenue station before the line leaves North Brunswick. The North Brunswick station is going to be the transit village, which is about 3.5 track miles west of the Jersey Avenue station.
 #1403640  by pumpers

jersey_emt wrote:There's still 5 miles of track west of the Jersey Avenue station before the line leaves North Brunswick. The North Brunswick station is going to be the transit village, which is about 3.5 track miles west of the Jersey Avenue station.
I hope you are right. I was responding to Eurostar's comment that the new station would have to be east (compass north) of the existing station (presumably Jersey Ave) so the trains can make it into the yard for storage (and thus assuming the yard referred to meant storage tracks at the Jersey Ave station (or County yard next to that).

I don't know if there is enough space at Amtrak Adams yard (and if Adams is sufficiently south enough of any "transit village area" ) so that Adams could serve as the storage yard (assuming no loop). Adams is a bit south of Adams Lane.

To be honest, I am not up on the details of how the Speedway project (which is reconfiguring the interlockings in that general area) could impact all of this or not - the design I saw once made sense when the loop bridge was in the plan - I don't know about how it shakes out without the loop.