Railroad Forums 

• Freight customers on the Pascack Valley line?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1377238  by Snowmojoe

Are there any freight customers left on the PVL north of, say, Rt. 46? I know there are some active customers in the Moonachie/Wood-ridge/East Rutherford area, but how far north do freights go at this point? The most likely candidate seems to be Kuiken Bros. lumber in Emerson, which I have seen get a delivery by rail, but that was maybe 5 yrs ago or more (I used to work in the building next door). Is there anyone north of Kuiken?
 #1377951  by airman00

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The only customer north of Kuiken was Beckerle Lumber in Spring Valley, but has not been active for a long time.
Recently I had a chance to see the tracks @ Beckerlie Lumber and they are in horrible shape. They don't appear to be passable by a train anymore. Interestingly enough though, at the crossing right next to Beckerlie Lumber, there are 3 tracks.

As far as freight on the pvl I would love to see Norfolk Southern go through Westwood station!
 #1379360  by R36 Combine Coach

airman00 wrote:Recently I had a chance to see the tracks @ Beckerlie Lumber and they are in horrible shape. They don't appear to be passable by a train anymore. Interestingly enough though, at the crossing right next to Beckerlie Lumber, there are 3 tracks!
That part of the Piermont Branch was the original Erie main line, before Erie RR "leased" its new main line south to Jersey City. Beckerle utilizes part of the freight depot. Here is the 3-track crossing.