Railroad Forums 

• Time to raise fares again?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1352843  by kilroy

Looks like it's time to take a page from the John DeLorean book of capital funding.

Either that or open a counterfeiting dividsion.
 #1352848  by philipmartin

kilroy wrote:Looks like it's time to take a page from the John DeLorean book of capital funding.

Either that or open a counterfeiting dividsion.
Here's the Wiki article on DeLorean. He went from manufacturing automobiles that didn't sell to smuggling cocaine (that would have sold if the cops hadn't got him.) As we say on NJT, The way to go.
 #1352907  by SemperFidelis

A little bit of relevant trivia:

One of the reasons given for branding Midtown Direct service as such was that people thought the name "Kearny Connection" sounded more like a cocaine smuggling operation than a commuter service.
 #1352941  by philipmartin

SemperFidelis wrote:A little bit of relevant trivia:

One of the reasons given for branding Midtown Direct service as such was that people thought the name "Kearny Connection" sounded more like a cocaine smuggling operation than a commuter service.
Ha, ha, ha!
 #1352975  by EuroStar

Gas tax hike is coming. The only question is when Christie will fold his presidential bid. NJ is in the same position with Amtrak as NYC was with Cuomo on the MTA funding. Cuomo won with DeBlasio having to try to save face. There is little choice but to hike the gas tax to fill the gap. A 10 % increase in fares lead to only $56MM of additional revenue. For $200MM you need another 40% increase, that would push at least 20% of the commuters to cars. And that does not even count the union raises and the $300MM from the cancelled ARC which need to be replaced. Christie will fold on the gas tax. Only question is when.
 #1353012  by philipmartin

EuroStar wrote:Gas tax hike is coming.
You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong. I live in Pennsy and fill up in New Jersey as often as I can, saving 40 cents a gallon.
 #1353026  by chuchubob

philipmartin wrote:
You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong. I live in Pennsy and fill up in New Jersey as often as I can, saving 40 cents a gallon.
So a ten cent per gas tax would keep you away from Jersey?
 #1353519  by Defiant

philipmartin wrote:NJT must put $199.2 million towards Amtrak's operating and capital expenses...
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic ... share-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any idea how much they contribute now? I am sure they pay something to use NEC. How much of a difference does this amount represent with what NJT pays now?
 #1353651  by jamesinclair

philipmartin wrote:
So an increase of 39 cents would keep your business?