Railroad Forums 

• Slow trains Saturday evening

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#9540  by drewh

I took the 544 local from Metuchen last night to NYP. First was surprised that train came on track 2 (about 10 mins late) so necessitated using lower level platforms. Any idea what is going on?? At first I thought it because of the new roadway tunnel at Evergreen Rd but we immediately switched back to track 1 just past Metuchen station. Metropark was at track 1.

The train never seemed to go faster than 20 mph the entire trip. It took 40 mins to get to Eliz and 1hr 10 to NYP. We were also stuck for 15mins between NWK and Sec for a bridge inspection. Anyone know what was going on.

To make matters worse, on the return last night - the 1157 from NYP, again we seemed to crawl. Almost an hour to Metuchen. Now I know only the south tunnel was open, but what is up with the other delays and slow running??

#9548  by Engineer

There has been fairly steady maintenence on 1 and A track for a while now requiring EB lowleveling. I remember a foreman placed a 30MPH restriction on A track at North Rahway the other night. Don't know if it still in effect.

#9568  by Olton Hall

They were replacing some of the ties yesterday just west of Metuchen. New Brunswick, Edison and Metuchen were all low platforming.

As for the other delays, I was going normal speed on the return in the afternoon so something must have popped up afterwards.

#9638  by nick11a

Well, low platforming causes great delays. Unloading/loading at Metropark or New Brunswick could easily take 5 minutes or more.

#9816  by Mudvalve

Lots of rail work going on in the area, makes for a little bit of a mess commuting, but at least the work is getting done.

#11189  by drewh

We only low platformed at Metuchen. The rest inbound were high level so no delays because of that.