Railroad Forums 

• State projects are listed for U.S. funding

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#10134  by thebigc

The ArrowIIIs to be rebuilt? In kind, or as coaches? In kind, I hope. Preferrably back to DC traction motors like God and GE intended. My knees can't handle much more of this AC stuff!!

#10150  by Mudvalve

only one thing can slow down a rail project.. NIMBY. I'd be surprised if the towns that the MOM line runs through (esp in Middlesex county) didn't file a lawsuit aganist it.

#10167  by Olton Hall

Here's the link to proposed NJ Transit FY 2005 (federal) for 2005.
NJT FY 2005 Proposal Keep in mind that the money can get split up several ways including scope development, design, and project managment and some of these have money in the current year and possibly in the future years as they are multi-year projects.

#10191  by nick11a

Well, I have said this before, in my humble opinion as a railfan, my guess would be that NJT is not going to rebuild them as MUs. They may run them down to the ground or convert them in to Comaros. I could very well be wrong though.

But, I should imagine that if the A3s were rebuilt as MUs, they wouldn't be the same. While long doors do provide advantages to conductors and assistants at low level stops, they will end up slowing down the train on the Morristown and Gladstone. Being that they would have long doors, the crewmen would have to make sure all the doors are closed before departing. Right now on the M&E and Montclair I might add, the crewmen just give two to go and they are off. Of course, this would make it more safe though. Plus, I alway enjoy seeing a conductor or crewman hanging out of a door when departing or arriving at a station. With the safety feature on all of the time, this will become a rare site.

Not to mention the dillemma of the the cabs being up to Comet V standards.

So an Arrow 3 rebuild has its drawbacks and benefits.

#10203  by thebigc

And the best part is when they substitute Comets for Arrows and expect you to keep the schedule!! I worked 412 a few weeks ago and we got four C5s instead of the usual three or four Arrows and all the bosses can't figure out why we're late at Summit every morning. Five to eight minutes might not sound like much but every train has it's time window from Summit East and when you're late, you make other trains late as well.
These people, who aren't really railroaders, just don't understand the finer points of trying to nurse Comet5s in and out of stations and over the road. Unlike the AIIIs, it's not "load and go"!!
So Arrows definitely have their niche on NJT. If they could just cure the AC lurching...

#10217  by nick11a

Yeah BigC, I've noticed 412 and 429 (the return trip for the set) has been a push pull in the past few weeks. In fact, I ride 429 on Fridays sometimes as does arrow(3). By the time it gets to Berkeley Heights, it is usually about 7 minutes late (from Hoboken). I have noticed it has been an ALP with mostly Comet 5s and it has been cab 6067 for the most part. Arrow actually isn't to happy that NJT has spoiled his commute home with a push pull set . :) Just out of curiousity, what day did you work 412? During my spring break, I was home at BH and forced myself to wake up early and walk 20 minutes to the train station to see and photograph the two midtowns and 412 on a couple of days.

Here is a picture I shall temporaily host of train 412 early in the morning at Berkeley Heights. The date is March 19- the one with the snow.

edit: and btw, the conductor on 429 loves to play with the C5s. He programs it to say at Hoboken "Please have your tickets ready for inspection" and at Newark to say "Change Here for Montclair Trains".

Picture removed by nick11a on 4-12-04.