Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1128332  by nick11a

Merged the new topic with the existing old topic (which was locked.) Updated the link in the "Links to Explansion Project" sticky thread to make it work. I don't see much point to unlocking it right now, as there is nothing new to discuss and there was endless trolling and flaming the last time.... if there is something to discuss, let me know, I'll unlock it. Otherwise, if you wish to sign the petition in the above post, go right ahead.
 #1214135  by Hawaiitiki

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I think its a reasonable time to ask. "What the heck happened to this project?, the Paterson-Hackensack portion at least". This seemed to be way more on track than a Northern Branch HBLR to Englewood about five years ago. And according to the always reliable wikipedia, it seems that NJT has already forked over $20 million to NYSW. I know the famous NJT 2020(http://webspace.webring.com/people/tt/t ... jt2020.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) map is getting funnier by the day, but this one seemed to be all figured out. Did Menendez just finally throw in the towel because it seemed like he was the only one who gave a crap about this? Before I get a flamed here, I just want to clarify that I totally believe there are a ton of projects that should be getting done first, I'm just curious how this particular one died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passaic-Bergen_Rail_Line" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1214235  by ladder2

This project is as dead as a doornail. This was a dream of Assemblyman Bill Pascrell back when he was running for office. It would have been the biggest boon doggle if it were to be built. Paterson residents could not afford the fares if implemented, and what is there in Hackensack to lure Paterson residents
anyhow? NYSW did not want it and neither did NJT. Pascrell was talking about Colorado DMU's being used and a month later Colorado was history. NJT has a bus line running from Paterson that parallels the NYSW for almost its entire length to Hackensack that averges 15 people per trip.
 #1214368  by Port Jervis

ladder2 wrote:This project is as dead as a doornail. This was a dream of Assemblyman Bill Pascrell back when he was running for office. It would have been the biggest boon doggle if it were to be built. Paterson residents could not afford the fares if implemented, and what is there in Hackensack to lure Paterson residents
anyhow? NYSW did not want it and neither did NJT. Pascrell was talking about Colorado DMU's being used and a month later Colorado was history. NJT has a bus line running from Paterson that parallels the NYSW for almost its entire length to Hackensack that averges 15 people per trip.
NJT should be concentrating more on the Hawthorne/Sparta commuter line, or at least Hawthorne/Butler. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's also DOA ...
 #1355226  by Jeff Smith

No, it's not an April Fool's Joke. It's not April 1.

NJ.com
Coalition to revive Passaic, Bergen, Hudson light rail plan

A long dormant plant to restore passenger rail on a freight line through Passaic, Bergen and eventually to Hudson Counties is going to get a jump start Friday.

That jumpstart is coming from Congressman Bill Pascrell, D-NJ, who will be joined by state lawmakers, county freeholders and 11 local officials to form the North Jersey Rail Coalition to support the effort.

The coalition would breath new life into a 10-year-old plan to restore passenger rail service to a New York, Susquehanna and Western railroad line, said Ben Rich, a spokesman for Pascrell.

The first phase would run from Hawthorne to Hackensack and from Hackensack to Hudson County, linking up with NJ Transit's Hudson-Bergen Light rail line at Tonnelle Avenue, Rich said.
 #1440894  by Hawaiitiki

https://jerseydigs.com/nj-transit-propo ... ackensack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After several years of inaction, plans are once again advancing to develop a new NJ TRANSIT train line on an existing railroad right-of-way through a densely populated corridor in Passaic and Bergen Counties, with a potential extension to Hudson County.
Never thought I'd see this one come back from the dead. Bizarre to see this get revived without shovels yet being in the ground on the HBLR to Englewood.
with a potential extension to Hudson County.
Have to imagine this would mean via the NYSW to either hook up with the HBLR or go through the old NYSW Edgewater Tunnel to the waterfront. (Which I know Edgewater has wanted for years once they saw they missed the HBLR boat, but would obviously be cost prohibitive)
 #1440902  by EuroStar

Wow, just wow. If I had to guess some state politician with enough connections is the reason for the update of the study, but I really do not see anything coming out of it given all the other capital needs in the rail operations of NJT, not the least the billion dollars for HBLR extension to Englewood. I support preservation of the right of way though I doubt that NYSW is selling at this time.
 #1441426  by time

Not a bad idea. Feeder services support additional ridership. Although, I think in the next 30 years we'll need to rethink just how much "feeder service" we will need as self driving cars (taxis, ride sharing) fill the gap between a train station and your final destination, competitively with the price of a train ticket and with far more convenience. I'm calling it here. We'll see bus, light rail and "short line" passenger service in suburbs decline, while interstate, regional and urban rapid transit will continue to increase.

This project may be able to feasible, even with the changing times, since Paterson is an urban center.
 #1441474  by Roadgeek Adam

Not that I expect much to come of this raised interest again, but I still would like to see a change where Saddle Brook/Rochelle Park/Maywood get stations. 5 stations in Paterson is nice, but if its coming at the cost of three communities, then I'd like to see change.

Hell, just keep the 3 Paterson stations they used to have (Vreeland, Broadway and Riverside) and put proper stations at the old locations in Passaic Junction, Rochelle Park and Maywood.
 #1441483  by millerm277

time wrote:Not a bad idea. Feeder services support additional ridership.
Except these towns already have nearby service actually going somewhere useful (SEC/HOB) in most cases. Why add an additional ride in the wrong direction rather than just taking your local train?

Even if you're trying to just get people who want to walk to the station, there's a lot of overlap of the catchment areas with the existing services. And if people are willing to get in a car/get dropped off/bike, then it's even more of a no brainer to go to the existing services instead.

While it's too close to the existing direct services to pull riders from those services, it's also too far from them to enable any real radial connectivity benefits. It's not going to be significantly useful for enabling reverse commutes or the like since you can't switch lines. If I want to take the PVL in to switch to the Bergen Line for my job that's out on that line, I'm still riding into SEC to do it because I'm not adding another train (point of failure in my schedule) and two seriously lengthy walks to make the transfer between lines.

--------------------

If extended out with stops in Bogota, Ridgefield Park, and connected to the HBLR it might be a little more useful. If connected (with added/moved stops) to the Bergen Line/PVL more directly to enable transfers it might also be a little more useful.

Without one or both of those, it seems almost entirely useless. Even with both, I'm extremely skeptical that it would be an intelligent use of funds as compared with improving the shabby frequencies on the existing 3 lines.
 #1441488  by MickD

Maywood & Saddle Brook didn't want stations when this was first proposed..
It's very hard to see the point to this service.
HBLR took off like it did because of all the Hudson County waterfront development,
that was in progress before it even opened up..
The area of Paterson the Susquehanna runs through doesn't have a shadow
of that potential.Hackensack to North Bergen might make some sense, but even that is a long shot
with commuter rail to waterfront a far better alternative..
 #1441505  by CentralValleyRail

A route that goes Wyckoff-Hawthorne-Paterson-Saddle Brook-Hackensack-Bogota-Vince Lombardi-Ridgefield-Fairview-Cliffside Park-Edgewater-Port Imperial makes a lot more sense. covers a ton of traffic clogged areas and dumps people at the ferry to NY or the HBLR. of course it's NJT and will never happen. A ton of working class areas that would utilize it. Paterson would do what they do in parts of JC and Camden ride for free for no reason.