Railroad Forums 

• One-Seat Ride to NYC on Raritan Valley Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1304976  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:What is the start date for this, if it's given a green light?
According to the article, sometime at the beginning of next year. Maybe January 5th?
 #1311398  by philipmartin

TDowling wrote:I see they are gradually phasing in one seat service to new York. Would be good if weekend service were included.
That's obvious. But I suppose they only have one tunnel under the Hudson on weekends. Another factor I hadn't realized is that this service to NY requires funding. They are only putting on this evening service because they found funding for it.
 #1311420  by zerovanity59

philipmartin wrote:
TDowling wrote:I see they are gradually phasing in one seat service to new York. Would be good if weekend service were included.
That's obvious. But I suppose they only have one tunnel under the Hudson on weekends. Another factor I hadn't realized is that this service to NY requires funding. They are only putting on this evening service because they found funding for it.
What I am confused about is the funding part. They say they needed funding to make the evening trips happen, but they received a one-time grant. Was that to cover one-time change in operation costs or the operational costs. If the operational costs, what are they going to do when the grant runs out?
 #1311431  by nomis

zerovanity59 wrote:
philipmartin wrote:
What I am confused about is the funding part. They say they needed funding to make the evening trips happen, but they received a one-time grant. Was that to cover one-time change in operation costs or the operational costs. If the operational costs, what are they going to do when the grant runs out?
Hope that increased passenger loads cover the increased expense of running to NYP, that and budget accordingly in future FY's.
 #1311485  by CentralValleyRail

From what I read the funding is costing almost 600K for the year but so far the initial one seat service was only averaging like 40 passengers per train. Its purely political. No one in their right mind would approve that. Yeah I get that the housing value will go up and over time you'll get a few more riders but in reality the funding should be used for something like Weekend Service to MSU where the demand has been there for years. I guess Montclair officials aren't in bed with NJT and therefore no service.
 #1311513  by EuroStar

CentralValleyRail wrote:From what I read the funding is costing almost 600K for the year but so far the initial one seat service was only averaging like 40 passengers per train. Its purely political. No one in their right mind would approve that. Yeah I get that the housing value will go up and over time you'll get a few more riders but in reality the funding should be used for something like Weekend Service to MSU where the demand has been there for years. I guess Montclair officials aren't in bed with NJT and therefore no service.
Could not agree more. The initial weekend service was "at no cost" because the shuttle between Hoboken and Newark Broad was there. Unfortunately it cannot be extended to MSU without significant comitment of at least 2 more trainsets and crews -- I have looked into it, the travel times just do not work out with the clockface schedule used on the Morris-Essex line during the weekend.
 #1311599  by zerovanity59

EuroStar wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:From what I read the funding is costing almost 600K for the year but so far the initial one seat service was only averaging like 40 passengers per train. Its purely political. No one in their right mind would approve that. Yeah I get that the housing value will go up and over time you'll get a few more riders but in reality the funding should be used for something like Weekend Service to MSU where the demand has been there for years. I guess Montclair officials aren't in bed with NJT and therefore no service.
Could not agree more. The initial weekend service was "at no cost" because the shuttle between Hoboken and Newark Broad was there. Unfortunately it cannot be extended to MSU without significant comitment of at least 2 more trainsets and crews -- I have looked into it, the travel times just do not work out with the clockface schedule used on the Morris-Essex line during the weekend.
Another issue is all the grade crossing in Montclair after the Bay street station. As of now they can avoid them by staying on the grade separated old Montclair branch, but they would have to cross numerous streets on the Montclair connection and the former New York and Greenwood Lake.