Railroad Forums 

• One-Seat Ride to NYC on Raritan Valley Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1311636  by CentralValleyRail

EuroStar wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:From what I read the funding is costing almost 600K for the year but so far the initial one seat service was only averaging like 40 passengers per train. Its purely political. No one in their right mind would approve that. Yeah I get that the housing value will go up and over time you'll get a few more riders but in reality the funding should be used for something like Weekend Service to MSU where the demand has been there for years. I guess Montclair officials aren't in bed with NJT and therefore no service.
Could not agree more. The initial weekend service was "at no cost" because the shuttle between Hoboken and Newark Broad was there. Unfortunately it cannot be extended to MSU without significant comitment of at least 2 more trainsets and crews -- I have looked into it, the travel times just do not work out with the clockface schedule used on the Morris-Essex line during the weekend.
I realize that as well. I actually was at the Ceremony at Bay Street for the initial weekend service. But the cost that they are spending on the direct one seat service could be used better elsewhere is what I'm saying. In this case it's a just a mere pull of political power. If only Montclair had some more of that. I know the residents want it. Yeah some of old birds who sit at home all day don't want to hear horns but they complain about everything.
 #1311773  by Amtrak7

philipmartin wrote:My guess is no slots available for the morning "commission hour" as one Pennsy operator called it years ago.
That's actually the formal term used by the LIRR.

But the peak hours aren't one absolute 100% block. While there are very likely no slots in the 5pm and 8am hours, I highly doubt that the tunnels are at 100% capacity in the 6am and 7pm hours.
 #1312381  by Regardie

I am happy that my late evening trains will be direct now. I am still unhappy that NJ Transit did not address the two periods in the weekday schedule where there is over an hour wait for an outbound train. Late afternoon, train 5719 at 2:39pm Single Seat to train 5431 at 3:45pm. The break there has gotten shorter, but it is still over an hour. Later still, train 5197 at 10:48pm to train 5101 at 12:08am leaves 1:20 between trains and nothing in the 11pm hour.

The evening Single Seat also does not start early enough to bring in people who might take the train to catch a Broadway show, they will still need to make the transfer at Newark to make the curtain as arriving after 8pm does no good whatsoever.
 #1312617  by BigDell

The evening Single Seat also does not start early enough to bring in people who might take the train to catch a Broadway show, they will still need to make the transfer at Newark to make the curtain as arriving after 8pm does no good whatsoever.
Exactly. So we have to run to Metropark instead and deal with the outbound commuter madness. A RVL one-seat that gets into NYC before 6:30pm would be a hit with a lot of the locals. Remember, during the week many shows start at 7:30pm. But still, progress is progress and that's good.
 #1378404  by EuroStar

TDowling wrote:So are more one seat rides to penn station imminent in the near future?
Do not count on it. In theory they could have added weekend service long ago. They probably do not have the money for that. Also many would rightfully question the need for the direct service on the weekends given the ridership. The useful service is during peak hour which cannot be added until Gateway is built because there are no slots in the tunnels under the river.
 #1378692  by kilroy

And how many passengers on the rerouted or terminated trains are going to like having to change trains?

The fall out is far greater from those that have it and lose it than those that don't have it now and won't have it in the future.