Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak equipment on M&E Line of NJT

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#7241  by Jishnu

At about 10am this morning (March 29, 04) I saw an NJTransit GP-40 pulling two Amfleet coaches go by Short Hills on the Morris and Essex line. Anyone have any idea what this was all about?
 #7249  by BlockLine_4111

Jishnu wrote:At about 10am this morning (March 29, 04) I saw an NJTransit GP-40 pulling two Amfleet coaches go by Short Hills on the Morris and Essex line. Anyone have any idea what this was all about?
Your kiddin', right ? Neat but would have looked better with an electo loco in charge. Was it westbound ? Maybe they are bound for Whippany (i.e. for the Morristown and Erie RR).

Maybe they are going to metroline the NJT M&E ?
 #7259  by Jishnu

Your kiddin', right ? Neat but would have looked better with an electo loco in charge. Was it westbound ? Maybe they are bound for Whippany (i.e. for the Morristown and Erie RR).
No I'm not kidding. I almost fell off my chair with astonishment (the NJTransit line passes right by my apartment).

BTW, it was headed Westbound.

#7274  by BlockLine_4111

Why during the 9/2001 Hoboken festival did they run aux. power to the Amtrak Acela versus simply raising the pans ?

#7280  by Tri-State Tom

Jishnu -

Your positive these were Amfleet coaches and not perhaps Heritage type coaches ?

Reason I ask is 95% of the time these type sightings are related to equipment moves to/from the Morristown & Erie Railway out of Morristown. Also, the M&E purchased and took delivery of a pristeen Amtrak Heritage coach several months ago and I'm thinking they might have taken title to a couple more.

#7281  by nick11a

Could it be the "Corridor Clipper?" I saw this in Hoboken on Friday. They use this to check the wires.

http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1107

#7285  by semerson

I saw this train yesterday (Sunday 3/28) heading South on the Pascack Valley Line. It was definitely an Amfleet coach with a NJT coach. I wonder if it's some kind of inspection train.

#7302  by nick11a

semerson wrote:I saw this train yesterday (Sunday 3/28) heading South on the Pascack Valley Line. It was definitely an Amfleet coach with a NJT coach. I wonder if it's some kind of inspection train.
Yep, sounds like it. See the link above in my post.

#7303  by F23A4

I'd love to see some pictures of that!!!

#7306  by EDM5970

I think they are called electrics, or electric locomotives, not "electros." Or did NJ suddenly move to Europe?

(Or maybe I'm hearing teenspeak. 'Supman? Chill.)

Also, to answer the Acela question, most likely because the Acela was set up for 11 or 12K, and the Hoboken division is 25K. Just like the MU cars, which have 11K or 25K stickers-

#7315  by BlockLine_4111

EDM5970 wrote:I think they are called electrics, or electric locomotives, not "electros." Or did NJ suddenly move to Europe?

(Or maybe I'm hearing teenspeak. 'Supman? Chill.)

Also, to answer the Acela question, most likely because the Acela was set up for 11 or 12K, and the Hoboken division is 25K. Just like the MU cars, which have 11K or 25K stickers-
But the Acela, like the ALPs and unlike the Arrows, can change on the fly from 11-12.5kV to 25kV. So in theory the pans could have been raised as long as they set him for 25kV (which is customary on the Boston extension on the NEC).

#7381  by Jishnu

Your positive these were Amfleet coaches and not perhaps Heritage type coaches ?
Yep. Absolutely positive it was Amfleet in pre-Capstone color (i.e. broad dark blue band along the window with very narrow red and white bands - Was that called Phase IV??).

#7384  by TAMR213

I'll bet it was the corridor Clipper. Apparently, it has been spoted at Hoboken, and NJT has been useing it ever since the TGIV burnt to a crisp.

#7467  by nick11a

TAMR213 wrote:I'll bet it was the corridor Clipper. Apparently, it has been spoted at Hoboken, and NJT has been useing it ever since the TGIV burnt to a crisp.
My thought too. I spotted it with a Geep on Friday at Hob.

#7799  by TGIV

nick11a wrote:
TAMR213 wrote:I'll bet it was the corridor Clipper. Apparently, it has been spoted at Hoboken, and NJT has been useing it ever since the TGIV burnt to a crisp.
My thought too. I spotted it with a Geep on Friday at Hob.
It was the 10002 Geometry Car. NJT is using Amtrak's TSAV or the 10002 quarterly.