Railroad Forums 

• Accident Snarls NJ's Riverline

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#7112  by transit383

Amazing. I thought the first accident would be with a car, not a deer. If a deer can wreak that much havoc on the system, what will happen if a light rail car ever hits a car or an SUV either on street running trackage or at a grade crossing?

#7117  by Irish Chieftain

Not to mention a deer in the wilds of...Trenton? I can imagine Port Jervis line trains encountering deer, but this is in a very urban situation.

#7120  by Lakini1291

transit383 wrote:Amazing. I thought the first accident would be with a car, not a deer. If a deer can wreak that much havoc on the system, what will happen if a light rail car ever hits a car or an SUV either on street running trackage or at a grade crossing?

Yeah you are right, it's a scary thought. I guess that it why the speeds at the grade crossings are so low. I wonder if the light rail car suffered any major damage.

#7131  by Urban D Kaye

Who knew the RiverLINE would need cowcatchers?

#7149  by Jtgshu

Sheesh, I guess they aren't kidding about crash worthyness with the Light rail vehicles....

Having been on and actaully seen deer being hit at 100mph (Get out of the way Get out of the..........oh damnit.....don't dump don't dump don't dump!!! Yea!!! All the hoses stayed together - running brake test!! - Ill check the carnage at Princeton Jct................ughhhhhhh ewwwwwwww) with no ill results, i have confidence in heavy rail equipment!

But in all fairness, i have been on trains and seen the aftermath of deer encounters and there is lots of damage to the train, either cab car or coaches, or MU's or the Loco itself.....broken brake pipes, disconnected hoses, ripped HEP cables, mangled recepticles, etc. Deer and other animals can do a tremendous amount of damage from the carcas rolling underneath the body and ripping things out of place at the train passes over.

On that happy note!!! haha
 #7159  by chuchubob

Although deer are known to inhabit urban areas,

http://community.webshots.com/photo/793 ... 8801VKMWmr

I suspect Philly's Channel 6 exaggerated when saying the deer was "near" Cass Street. From where the River Line goes under Route 29 a few blocks south of the Cass Street station

http://community.webshots.com/photo/118 ... 0423VMhXha

to the Crosswicks Creek Bridge going into Bordentown

http://community.webshots.com/photo/786 ... 2847WTkCKD

the line traverses nearly five miles of woods, water, and swamp.

#7167  by EDM5970

I just love the media. The crash "blew out the train's electricity", and the fact the the River Line opened last month. Its still March, and the opening was two weekends ago. Don't they ever get anything right?

Between Lalor Street (1/2 mile south of Cass) and Bordentown the line also follows the old D&R canal, which is a State Park. There is a wide variety of wildlife in there. They may have said Cass Street because it is the closest station.

Just as an aside, my 18 year old son and his girlfriend rode the River Line Saturday night. They were right up front, and witnessed a police car, with lights flashing, go around the gates right in front of the train. The operator reached for the brakes, but didn't use them. I don't know the circumstances on the police side, it could have even been an "officer needs assistance" situation, but I'd hope that the police would set a better example.

#7194  by chuchubob

EDM5970 wrote: Just as an aside, my 18 year old son and his girlfriend rode the River Line Saturday night. They were right up front, and witnessed a police car, with lights flashing, go around the gates right in front of the train. The operator reached for the brakes, but didn't use them. I don't know the circumstances on the police side, it could have even been an "officer needs assistance" situation, but I'd hope that the police would set a better example.
Last week I was on a northbound train in the stretch from Palmyra to Riverside when a southbound ambulance with emergency lights flashing used its left turn signal to indicate its desire to cross the track. The train was too close to stop; the gates were already coming down. The ambulance waited.

#7198  by bonaire

Who wants to bet that an old PCC would have won that showdown with the deer?
 #7361  by EDM5970

WPVI: Wrong day, wrong month, wrong township, wrong county, and they had problems with getting a rescue train because the tracks were "in use by other train systems"? Are you sure this even happened in NJ, after reading the article? Wasn't this incident over on SEPTA? Like I said before, can't the media ever get it right?

(OK, I feel better-)
 #7465  by ftmprob

Anyone know specifically why NJT buses are posted at Riverline stations? I have seen them parked in lots at many stations up and down the line. The obvious reason would be to accomodate passengers in the event of breakdown, accident etc. I was surprised to see the buses in the second week of service. Were any of the buses used in the Trenton (or Hamilton or Bordentown) deer mishap?

#7879  by wzlirr

transit383 wrote:Amazing. I thought the first accident would be with a car, not a deer. If a deer can wreak that much havoc on the system, what will happen if a light rail car ever hits a car or an SUV either on street running trackage or at a grade crossing?
A deer -- near Cass Street?? I know the area -- my friend Michael lived close by and the small shopping mall at Cass Street was where we'd eat.
He moved out of Trenton before the River Line was built, but the RR tracks have been there forever. This is NOT a rural area. Where did the deer come from, the cemetary adjoining? This is very very odd. :) :)