Railroad Forums 

• Metroliner in Hoboken

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#6571  by nick11a

Real quick question. Today I saw an Amtrak Metroliner car in Hoboken. It said something like "Corridor Cutter." Anyone know why it is there? It was my first time seeing a metroliner in person.

#6612  by DutchRailnut

Corridor clipper is not a metro liner car its a modified Amfleet inspection car with a dead pantograph on top for camera tracking purpose.

#6638  by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:Corridor clipper is not a metro liner car its a modified Amfleet inspection car with a dead pantograph on top for camera tracking purpose.
Oh, OK thanks! I guess transit owns it then being that it was in Hoboken.

#6639  by DutchRailnut

No Amtrak owns it , just because you see it on another RR does not mean its owned by them.

#6647  by transit383

This car is used occasionally by NJT because NJT's Track Geometry Inspection Vehicle (TGIV) was involved in a little barbeque last year. I don't know what the status of the TGIV is, but until it is repaired or replaced, the Corridor Cutter is used.

#6671  by Jtgshu

Our TGIV is still sitting in Red Bank yard, just about a mile from where it cooked itself at the Navesink River Road xing. I don't konw what they are planning on doing with it, but its now been sitting there, sometimes covered with a tarp, sometimes not, for well over a year.

#6689  by DutchRailnut

Transit383 the Car is Corridor Clipper not Cutter.
Amtk 10002 is number
see:
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/Out ... ridor.html

the other Amtrak inspection car is Beech Grove Amtk 10001
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/amtk10001.jpg

#6715  by trainfreak

Is this car self powered or does it need a locomotive to push it?

#6736  by nick11a

My guess is that you would need a loco to push/pull it.

#6839  by transit383

Transit383 the Car is Corridor Clipper not Cutter.
I stand corrected.
Is this car self powered or does it need a locomotive to push it?
It is locomotive hauled. I believe the last time it was used, the set consisted of an NJT F40 and either a Comet II or Comet IV with the Clipper on the rear.

#6914  by NJT4207

The engine,the clipper,cab car.As it is right now,#4206 & a camero.