Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#996207  by Scott10690

Hi PATH posters,

I'm not sure if this is acceptable to post here, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Much like the PATH subway system the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA-Boston) has long utilized a system of Motorpersons and Conductors (known in Boston as 'Train Attendants') to operate each Rapid Transit train. In recent years the MBTA has made a strong push to convert each of it's Rapid Transit lines to One Person Train Operation claiming that the change in operation will help cut the agency's massive debt. Over the last nine months I've worked on a three-pronged project consisting of a written, photographic, and video essay to serve as a counter argument to the T's proposal. Given the fact that the PATH still utilizes Two Person Train Operation I figured the posters on this forum could enjoy the arguments put forth in the video and help give feedback on the difference between the TPTO and OPTO operative styles.

*The film's title "The Last of Their Kind" refers to the fact that the MBTA's Red Line is the last of it's Rapid Transit lines to convert to OPTO, not that these Conductors/Train Attendants are the last in the world or the country.
**I apologize in advance to the moderator if this posting about the MBTA violates the PATH board's rules.

Thank you all so much, and enjoy the video!!! - Scott

http://youtu.be/rf5JFQooG5M
 #996448  by Amtrak7

The PATH conductors should move to mid-train or rear car. It's no use having them in the first car with the T/O there too.
 #996631  by PONYA

Conductor's generally have to operate in the first or second car to pick up {key single door on} the many employees from this and other railroads that are working in the field. You can't work mid train and walk through 500 passengers in a timely fashion.
 #996797  by Scott10690

Thanks guys for the replies!!! :)

I always thought the positions of the Conductors on PATH were rather strange. Is there an operational reason why they're located near the front of the train? I'd imagine mid-train (like Boston does in the 5th car and MTA-NYC does in the 6th car) would make viewing the platform the easiest.

Any plans to go OPTO on PATH? (Hopefully not)
 #996812  by 25Hz

The position is actually dependent on which side the train is taking on passengers. The conductor's stand is located on fireman's side rear of the leading cab car, and forward end engineer side in the second car. They change between cars to open the doors on the corresponding side.

Not only do they drop off/pick up non-pax out the side doors but also out the frontmost door. Conductor opens and closes the individual door "leafs" via a keyhole near the floor on either side of the doorway.

I personally do not see one person train operation any time soon, but i'm by no means an expert on the subject.
 #996948  by Terry Kennedy

Scott10690 wrote:I always thought the positions of the Conductors on PATH were rather strange. Is there an operational reason why they're located near the front of the train?
From the start of 8-car operation on the NWK/WTC line until the Exchange Place platform was extended post-9/11, the first car didn't open in the WTC-bound direction due to platform length issues. Since the conductor's location controls the split point between front and rear doors, this pretty much means that the conductor needs to be in the first car, unless the first car's doors were cut out completely. [This dismisses the ability of the PA-4 cars and R-retrofit PA-1/2/3 cars to independently control the 3 sets of doors on a PA-4, since that wasn't used.]

A lesser reason is the short length of Christopher and 9th, where it is easier for the conductor to verify the forward door is on the customer part of the platform.

Since the PA-5's were delivered, I've noticed a few cases of the conductor operating elsewhere than the first 2 cars.
 #997588  by R36 Combine Coach

On the Harrison Shop tour last year, it was mentioned PATH intends to go OPTO with the PA5s eventually, perhaps by 2017. Most passengers do prefer a two-man crew, though for safety and comfort.
 #998019  by OportRailfan

R36 Combine Coach wrote:On the Harrison Shop tour last year, it was mentioned PATH intends to go OPTO with the PA5s eventually, perhaps by 2017. Most passengers do prefer a two-man crew, though for safety and comfort.
I heard something similar to this, since the new signal system, new cars, etc., allow for OPTO many years out...