Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1000375  by Fan Railer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUkPVYvvDx4 - Train departing Queens plaza to reverse siding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNRVwiH-3k - Train pulling into second avenue to much fan fair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDPCRkzsaE - R6 1000 full run railfan in southbound direction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxaA_3aQjrw - time lapse of above run x2 speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0aHWSOSxkQ - time lapse of above run x4 speed
 #1000424  by railfan365

Head-end View wrote:Railfan, you sure you mean the R-10? Mid 80's overhaul? The last ones were retired in 1989, right?

My all-time favorite was the unpopular R-40/Slant. In 1968 they were the first replacements for those "dirty old R-1's", and with that long front door window, it was like boarding a spaceship. I still remember my first ride on one from the Union Turnpike station on the "F". Rode one of the last ones too on the Brighton Express in the Spring of 2008.
Oh, I know what I'm saying when I refer to the R-10's like the onein my tag image. It so happens that many of the R-10's which were badly neglected in the early '80's received a bottom to top in house overhaul between late 1984 and early 1986. This included new air compressors, resotred signage, repair ceiling air vents, and overhaul of the power distribution system, as well as thorough cleaning and painting. It cost about $65,000 per car.
The stated purpose was to make the fleet bearable was the R-68's came online. These redone cars were wasted with 1988-899 retirement, with the last revenue run of an R-10 train being in early September, 1989.
 #1001298  by R36 Combine Coach

The R10 overhaul in 1985 was done mainly to extend their lives until the R68As were delivered. Only 110 Westinghouse R10s were overhauled - all GEs retired by 1988 in poor condition. The partial overhaul only focused on key areas, such as lighting, new seats and modest rewiring, in addition to the kale green repaint.
 #1117643  by chuchubob

The 2012 Arnine shoppers' special is running every Sunday in December, again between 2nd Ave/Houston St and Queens Plaza.
The consist, south to north:
R-6 1300 (1936 Pressed Steel)
R-4 401 (1932 ACF)
R-1 381 (1931 ACF)
R-6 1000 (1935 ACF)
R-9 1802 (1940 Pressed Steel, last car of the R-1 to R-9 purchases)
R-7A 1575 (1938 Pullman, wreck rebuilt as an R-10 prototype)
R-1 100 (1930 ACF, first R-1)
R-4 484 (1932 ACF)

23rd Street/6th Avenue
 #1120491  by Head-end View

Rode it again today. What a party! All the usual buffs as well as parents with little kids all with noses pressed against the front windows like old times. Even the overhead fans were running. And a 1930's jazz party going on in the second car with maybe 50 or 100 riders dressed like the 1930's. I had a nice chat with a lady transit employee in the first s/b car who made sure the buffs made room for the little kids at the railfan windows.

I found myself explaining to some of the younger riders how up until 1974 we could see out the front of every NYC subway train. And how the end began with the R-44's in 1974. Anyway, a good few hours of riding in a friendly atmosphere. New York City at its best!

Someone mentioned above how in the 1980's the R-10's were given some light overhaul to extend their service life until the R-68's came into service. Interesting how history repeats itself. Aren't they doing the same thing now with the remaining R-32's?
 #1120556  by mirrodie

Just heard about this a few weeks ago off an aviation forum I frequent. took my kids in today in the last car. Interesting to say the least. Didnt see the band but did notice how some folks did dress the part. Very nice touch from NYC and glad to see Sandy didnt screw it up.

Where do they store it when not in use? My buddy asked the question. I was so impressed with the condition they;re in that I assume they are kept indoors year round.
 #1120984  by lirr42

I beleive Mr. View is correct. All the cars there are functional and they run off of third rail power at the Museum just like normal subway cars. The train tracks at the Museum connect directly to the subway network at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets (you know those two outer tracks that aren't used by trains--those go to the Museum. They can just pull it out, a quick change in direction, and they're headed up the A/C line to Midtown Manhattan.
 #1121918  by mirrodie

well come to think of it and the stops it makes, does the train ever see the light of day?? Is it always under the cover of a tunnel and never gets rained on?
 #1121987  by lirr42

I'm sure it does at some point. I know the A-division nostalgia train runs above ground whenever it's going to/from the Yankee games, so they at least can go outside. (and I presume the bulk of the maintenance is done at Coney Island, which is overground as well)
 #1122175  by Fan Railer

mirrodie wrote:well come to think of it and the stops it makes, does the train ever see the light of day?? Is it always under the cover of a tunnel and never gets rained on?
Of course it does. How do you think they do those nostalgia runs down to Coney Island during the summer months? lol
 #1122262  by Allan

Head-end View wrote:I believe the train stays at the Transit Museum in Brooklyn. Anyone knows different please correct me.
Normally cars 1575, 100 and 484 are on display in the Transit Museum. When it comes time to create the Nostalgia Train, the cars are moved to the Coney Island facility.

At present R40 slant cars 4281 and 4280 are filling in for the above 3 cars in the TM.

The other cars are generally stored down in the Coney Island Facility.
 #1122484  by Head-end View

Oh! Didn't know they had preserved a set of R-40/Slants! Glad they did that. I will have to go see them some day at the museum, and remember better days on the NYC Subways.
 #1122879  by Allan

Head-end View wrote:Oh! Didn't know they had preserved a set of R-40/Slants! Glad they did that. I will have to go see them some day at the museum, and remember better days on the NYC Subways.
They will be there until after the end of this year while the 3 cars I mentioned are in use on the Holiday train. I would expect that the 3 cards will be back in the Museum by the 2nd week of January, at which point the R40 Slants will be back in Coney lsland