Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#936034  by FRN9

Does anyone know How much track length (in feet) is needed for a single switch from one line to another (vs. a double switch between both lines)?

Thanks

F
 #937513  by DaveBarraza

Turnout Length depends on sharpness. Say, 150-200 feet on average from the point-of-switch to the point where the divergent track becomes tangent again.
 #937639  by FRN9

DaveBarraza wrote:Turnout Length depends on sharpness. Say, 150-200 feet on average from the point-of-switch to the point where the divergent track becomes tangent again.
What would be the shortest distance possible with imaging an Island platform width between the tracks (so right before the stop)?

Thanks,
f
 #937710  by jlr3266

My alignment engineers tell me they would need the track speed, platform length, RR standards, breaking distance for the equipment, grades, and a charge number. It's not that easy.
 #937897  by DaveBarraza

On the IRT the frog numbers generally went down as low as #5, but this requires 10mph operation.

IND installed #8's and longer.
 #938152  by FRN9

DaveBarraza wrote:On the IRT the frog numbers generally went down as low as #5, but this requires 10mph operation.

IND installed #8's and longer.
I feel so ignorant. What do you mean by frog numbers? #8s?
 #938677  by jlr3266

The numbers designate the size, or length of the switch. The lower numbers are tighter than a #20 or greater "high speed" switch. The effective curve created by a #5 crossover can fit in tight spots, but the trains must run very slowly. This really can affect operations on normal moves.