Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#934920  by FRN9

Hi everyone,

I am researching what amount of construction it would take to add switches at Hoyt-Schermerhorn so that the A•C trains and the G trains could switch. Does anyone have any ideas on either what it would take to do this or how I could best research this?

Thanks very much<

F
 #935086  by Passenger

I always have wondered what was the reason for the decision not to do this in the first place, particularly considering how over-engineered that station is in a general way.
 #935749  by FRN9

It doesn't make sense to me either. I think I need to make a visual survey of the approaches from the C and G lines.

Anyone have any knowledge of how switch could be installed in each directly, please holler.
 #935771  by keithsy

I grew up on this line in the 60's. You could set your watch by a 4 car train of R1-9's The station is not over-engineered. It was designed that way for a reason and everything ran right.
 #937516  by DaveBarraza

Immediately (compass) East of the station the Crosstown tracks descend, and immediately (compass) West they rise while the Fulton Line tracks go down. The station itself is the only flat area where all 6 tracks are on the same level, so placing switches in the area would be impractical.

Remember that the Crosstown was supposed to have other connections in Williamsburg which would have made service running into Manhattan from Brooklyn less necessary.
 #938011  by Passenger

keithsy wrote:I grew up on this line in the 60's. You could set your watch by a 4 car train of R1-9's The station is not over-engineered. It was designed that way for a reason and everything ran right.
Not over-engineered?

I grew up in the 60s too. Did you ever see the outer platforms in use?

I mean other than for the Aqueduct special? :wink:
 #938012  by Passenger

DaveBarraza wrote:Immediately (compass) East of the station the Crosstown tracks descend, and immediately (compass) West they rise while the Fulton Line tracks go down. The station itself is the only flat area where all 6 tracks are on the same level, so placing switches in the area would be impractical.

Remember that the Crosstown was supposed to have other connections in Williamsburg which would have made service running into Manhattan from Brooklyn less necessary.
A real answer. Thank you.