Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#923759  by theseaandalifesaver

Hello. So next Tuesday I'll be in the city with a ton of free time on my hands. I was hoping to use some of this time to explore some parts of the subway system I've never seen. My question is, are there any abandoned stations, or parts of stations, that can legally be seen?

Also, what would you guys recommend checking out? Thanks!
 #923783  by RedbirdR33

I do not know what parts of the subway system you have or haven't seen but if your interested in abandoned stations or parts there of I would recommend the IRT Lexington Avenue Line. Take a ride on the No 6 Local between 59 Street and Brooklyn Bridge. You will see the abandoned stations at 18 Street and Worth Street. If you stay on the southbound local at Brooklyn Bridge you can ride around the loop and see the City Hall Station. Also at Brooklyn Bridge you can see the now unused southern ends of the platform. Also look at the wall on the southbound local track. Although its been sealed up you can still see the lip of the original side local platform protruding from the wall. Walk over to the Chambers Street Station of the BMT and you'll see the long unused center platform. Take a ride on the J train to Essex Street and your see the abandoned trolley terminal for the Williamsburg Bridge.

If you ride the No 6 back uptown go to 59th Street and walk to the south end of the local platform. There is a pedestrian underpass connecting the north and southbound platforms. This passageway in actually in the tunnel of what was to have been the original route for the BMT trains to Queens via the Queensborough Bridge. The eastbound track was supposed to have run along 59th Street while the westbound track would have been under 60th Street. As the Lexington Avenue Line was built first provision was made for these tunnels in the construction. It was eventually decided to put the BMT Line to Queens into a tunnel under 60th Street. Walk towards the northern end of the platform and go downstairs onto the BMT platform. Look up at the south wall of the station and you will see a metal door. This door lead to a space that was to have been the mezzanine for the original BMT station. Every now and then the door is open so it probably provides access to some electrical equipment.

Since you'll already be at 59th Street you might want to walk over to the Roosevelt Island Tramway Terminal at 2nd Avenue and 60th Street. Pay close attention as the tram leaves and look to the south. A surprising amount of the steelwork from the 2nd Avenue El-Queensborough Bridge Line remains and you can also see the top of the underground Queensborough Bridge Trolley Terminal located between the on and off ramps of the bridge. The shell of one of the four entrance/exit kiosks is still there but no longer in use. A second kiosk can be seen on Roosevelt Island near the tramway terminal where it is used as a visitor's center.

If you would like more information about other lines just ask. I hope that you enjoy your trip.

Larry,RedbirdR33
 #934806  by Otto Vondrak

theseaandalifesaver wrote:PS This doesn't have to be Subway exclusive.
You might want to try the New York State Forum for questions about non-Subway stuff. More likely to get more detailed answers to this question (and search the archives, as it has come up recently).
 #934807  by Otto Vondrak

Crabman1130 wrote:The NYC Transit Museum is a great place to visit.

http://mta.info/mta/museum/index.html

Agree this is a good way to spend some time and learn about the Subway and see stuff you wouldn't normally see. Most of the abandoned stations are out of view, or you can only catch fleeting glimpses from passing trains.

-otto-