Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#918729  by Idiot Railfan

I've noticed recently that PATH trains pulling into terminals are going a lot slower, particularly in Hoboken. Where they used to fly in, sometimes giving passengers a scare as the bumper got closer, they now slow to a crawl.

Is this some new policy or I am just imagining things?
 #918991  by HBLR

The terminal at Hoboken is very, very old and sits in fill, no trains should be coming fast into there, especially when crossing the switches.

That said, they have been changing how fast they go throughout the system in the last 3 months. On the straight through the freight yard for example, they have for a few weeks not been going full speed, but last week I got on a train & the engineer was clearly going as fast as the equipment could go. I've spotted groups of rails laying here and there, perhaps they are replacing some stretches with a speed restriction before & after.
 #929780  by keithsy

I miss the fast speeds. That was what made PATH a truly rail-rapid transit. Sadly, an FRA inspector, who benefitted from affirmative-action went around the country with meaningless and expensive "safety" programs to reduce speed on the railroads. She never operated a train in her life.